Hernia surgery update - doing well

Jim Parker
on 5/23/11 1:43 pm - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Had the hernia repair on Friday morning. Everything went well during surgery, despite the fact that I passed out while trying to pee afterward... How embarrassing! My blood pressure was really low after surgery, and because I was straining to sit down, I apparently wasn't breathing very deeply, and just ran out of oxygen... They did an MRI on my head to check my brain for damage, and as my wife says "found nothing"...

Anyway, after checking everything they could check, they eventually
let me go home that afternoon. Didn't do much on Saturday or Sunday, other than walk a bit. Thank God for the pain meds that kept things at a dull roar. But today, the pain is much better. Have only had one pain pill all day, and the pain level has dropped a lot. Might even do some "work" (from home) tomorrow, and could be back at work Wednesday.

Now for some strange facts... The morning of surgery, I weighed 285 lbs. That afternoon, having eaten nothing and drunk nothing at all, but just the fluids they gave me via IV, I weighed 295 lbs. The following morning, after eating a "normal" dinner, I was at 290. One day later, after eating / drinking normally all day, I'm back to 285. who would have thought your weight could fluctuate that much due to IV fluids?

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I'm doing well, and almost back to "normal" (whatever that's supposed to mean). Can't wait to return to the gym, but Dr Nick says I have to wait 2 weeks for everything except walking... That's OK - I LIKE to walk these days!
Jeff Gudim
on 5/23/11 9:22 pm - Gonic, NH
 hey Jim glad to hear your doing better. hopefully i can figure this meebo thing out so we can catch up sometime. take care of yourself and be good.

Highest weight-544/Started WLS program -520/Surgery weight - 457/ =Goal weight - 287
kenhud1
on 5/23/11 9:37 pm - Houston, TX
Glad to hear you're doing better. Take it easy on the exercise til the doc say ok.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Michael P.
on 5/23/11 10:19 pm
Hey Jim,  Glad to hear that you are on the mend.  You gotta watch out for peeing...  That's pretty strenuous stuff for us big guys!!    That is crazy how your weight can fluctuate with all the fluids.  I had one of my testacles swell up to the size of a softball for a couple days after my WLS because of all the fluids.  Like a darn hoppity horse  :-)  It was crazy!!  Anyway, hope that you are back in the swing of things soon!

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
OneFinger
on 5/24/11 2:01 am
Glad to hear you're home and on the mend.

Interesting info on the water weight. That could easily explain some of my unusual flucuations.
High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Grandpa-G
on 5/25/11 8:49 pm - Grandville, MI
 Hey Jim - glad to hear all went well with your surgery and you are on the mend.  Take it easy and heal well.  You'll be back to full strength and ready to run a marathon on in time!  : )

Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

GAFROMVA
on 5/26/11 1:21 pm - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 glad everything went well with the surgery. 
Glen
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

HW: 565, Surgery Day: 486 CW: 319
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 19 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 53 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In