Hernia surgery details - for those who wanted to know.

Jim Parker
on 6/1/11 10:30 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
For the benefit of several people who asked about my hernia repair surgery, here are the gory details...

Mine was an umbilical hernia (belly button), and it was sticking out maybe 1 1/2 inches, and about 2 inches across.  The hole it was coming through was maybe 1/4 inch across, right in the middle of the belly button, clearly where the original umbilical cord came through...  All that "stuff" sticking out through that small hole caused amazingly little pain - MOST of the time.  But every once in a while, something would get "stuck" and it would hurt like heck!  The only thing I could do at those times was to lie down on my back, and press on the edges of the hernia until it "popped back in" and that would immediately relieve the pain.  Once, however, it took me over 30 minutes to pop it back in, and I was experiencing far more pain that ever before.  That's what triggered the repair surgery now, instead of just waiting until I was going to have plastic surgery (if ever) or some "more convenient time" down the road.  It was no longer "optional" to have it repaired...

To repair it, they went in laparoscopically, using 3-5 small incisions (I had four) - very similar to the RNY procedure, except lower down.  To fix it, they basically pumped me up with air to give the surgeon maneuvering room (I had almost forgotten that feeling), but not quite as much as for the RNY.  Then they push/pull all the "stuff" back inside you, and retract any bowel / intestinal tissue, separating it from the fatty tissue.  Mine appeared to be mostly fatty tissue and fluid build-up in/around that tissue - no bowel involvement - lucky for me! They apparently surgically separate / remove those fatty built-ups, cauterizing the blood vessels as they go, then remove the "trash" from the abdomen. For some cases, they may have to surgically repair the hole itself, if it's torn muscle tissue surrounding the opening.  Apparently, I was lucky in that regard also, and didn't have to have that done because it was such a small opening.

Next they inserted a piece of rolled-up "mesh" through one of the holes, positioning it against the outer wall, and unrolled it to cover the area within about 3-4 inches of the "hole".  They stuck needles through from the outside to snag the mesh and hold it in the "unrolled" position, then "tacked" it in into place at several points around the edges. Not sure if they used sutures or surgical glue (fancy name for "Super Glue" i think...).  Once the mesh is "secured", they removed the needles.  

Then they basically let the air out, removed the surgical tools, and using glue/steri-strips, sealed up the holes. The final step was to pack the now-empty belly button (a newly formed "innie") with compressed cotton balls, and cover the entire thing with a large clear plastic bandage that holds the cotton balls in place to prevent the "loose skin" from the hernia filling up with fluid, and causing problems - including possible degradation of the me****self.  The entire process took about 35-45 minutes - almost as long as the RNY procedure.  (But then, Dr. Nicholson has literally done thousands of RNYs, and only dozens of umbilical hernia repairs.)  

I had the surgery at 9:45 AM, and left the hospital a little before 3:00 that same day.  The pain level was nowhere near as bad as the RNY, and I found I was far more mobile.  I had only a little morphine immediately after surgery, and a "booster" for the trip home in my wife's truck.  After that, it was a Tylenol 3 pill every 4-6 hours for a couple of days, then only twice a day for 3 days, and then I was off it entirely.  The only real discomfort was when I "forgot" at night and rolled over onto my side or stomach.  That hurt - a lot - because the mesh is pulled tight against the stitches, and it just doesn't flex like the rest of me does.  I wound up sleeping in my LazyBoy most of the night - I couldn't "forget" and roll over!  But after almost two weeks, I can lie on my side (gingerly at first), and can even lie on my stomach for a few minutes - just to break the monotony...  

I have to keep that plastic bandage in place for 2 weeks, during which time I'm again restricted from lifting anything over 15 lbs.  After the two weeks are up, they will remove the bandages, and assuming no complications or problems, I'll be back to "normal" activities, just with a couple of weeks of "light duty" for stomach crunches, etc.  

I go in Friday to get the checkout, and to have the plastic bandage removed.  Can't wait to get back to the gym!
CoastalBigDog
on 6/1/11 10:44 am - WA
Very interesting. I'm suprised you got a hernia with a laparoscopic RnY, if I understand you correctly. I have an "internal hernia" now and I'm concerned. My RnY was open. When I lay on my back and flex my abdomen muscles I have a lump that sticks up about and an inch and a half and about 2 inches around. My Dr. is keeping close tabs on it. Good luck in your recovery!

cabin111
on 6/1/11 1:57 pm
Were they able to cut some of the loose skin and did you get what is called a "tummy tuck" at the same time as they did the hernia repair?
Jim Parker
on 6/2/11 11:19 pm - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with

My umbilical hernia wasn't a result of my RNY surgery - it dates back to when I was a kid.  The first time I had it, it was while we were in Brazil (my parents were missionaries at the time).  It wasn't causing pain, and wasn't very big, so the doctors just "packed" it and covered it with tape.  I vaguely remember then placing a smallish coin directly against the skin, then packing cotton balls, then the tape - but I could be mistaken, since I was maybe 5 at the time...

As for the "mini-tuck", that's not an option when they do the repair laparoscopically.  (Besides, with all this loose skin, there's no "mini" involved here...) 

Funny thing though...  They wanted me to wear the elastic "wrap" thingie (20" wide elastic band with velcro fastener that takes two men and a mule to put on)...  I tried it, and guess what?  It wouldn't stay in place - kept sliding down.  Guess I'm finally smaller in the tummy/waist area than in the chest, and it just "squeezes" its way down until it literally pushedsmy pants off.  Kinda funny at home, but would not have been so humerous at work.  Needless to say, I didn't keep wearing it.

Going in today to get everything checked out, and hopefully be cleared to start working out again!  Keep your fingers crossed!

Grandpa-G
on 6/3/11 2:24 pm - Grandville, MI
 Hey Jim, 

Glad to hear all went well with the hernia repair and you are on the mend.  I know you look forward to getting back to the gym and your exercise routine!

BTW, how's that Grand baby doing?

Take care!

Mike

Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

Jim Parker
on 6/3/11 10:34 pm - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
The granddaughter is doing very well.  She's just about to complete her second PHD (nuclear physics this time), and is just about over her disappointment in only placing second in the Miss Universe contest.  Not bad for a not-quite 6-month-old, eh?  Of course, I'm just kidding, but WE think she's that smart and that beautiful!  (I'm really getting the hang of this "grandparenting" thing, aren't I?)  She's going to be a very tall girl (mom's 5'9", dad's 6'4") and is already showing signs of being a "girly girl" like her mom...  But, as I told my daughter, you can be a girly-girl and still fly airplanes! 

This weekend is her great-grandpa Jack's 93rd bithday, and Eliza is in El Paso (with her mom and dad) visiting him.  It's his first time to see her, and I'm sure he'll be just as proud of her as my wife and I am...  Speaking of the wife, she is also in El Paso for his birthday, along with her two sisters, her brother, and my two married kids (and their spouses).  The youngest daughter and I had to stay home and work...  Bummer!  But at least I'm not paying $90/night to board the dogs!

How's your grandson doing?   
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views