Bladder issues and artifical sweetners

Richbehr
on 9/22/11 6:23 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I was wondering if anyone else was having bladder issues caused by artificial sweeteners like Crystal Light?
I get like a spasm, a real sudden urge to go. I pee with full force and alot comes out. I've had my prostate checked 3 times this year and it is fine. My urologist prescribed something for an over active bladder, but it's not really helping. One of the women at group said something about artificial sweeteners are a bladder irritant.
Any thoughts?

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Don 1962
on 9/22/11 7:32 am
Can't help on question but good to see you post again.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Richbehr
on 9/22/11 11:19 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Thanks Don, its GREAT to be back

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

cabin111
on 9/22/11 8:15 am
No real thoughts...Just with age we face more prostate and bladder issues in general.  My urologist said in a few years he may have to do surgery to reduce my prostate to ease the peeing.  May or may not lose the sex function.  I also had bladder stones...that could be a problem too.  You'll need a CAT or CT scan to confirm.  With the weighloss you could have high uric acid...add to a hot summer with sweating and you could get bladder stones.  Bladder stones are very treatable...Outpatient surgery.
Also as men get older, the prostate enlarges in general...Puts pressure on the bladder.  Just our make up.  Brian  PS  I have never heard of any double blind medical studies on artifical sweetners and bladder issues... 
newmerightnow
on 9/22/11 10:21 am - AK
I have never really thought of this, but I always drink Crystal Light and I am always in the bathroom. Interesting…good post Crissie

Don 1962
on 9/22/11 9:36 pm
Crissie,

Your excursion into the Men's forum will be excused since you are a relative newbie to OH.  Otherwise KEEP OUT!!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

newmerightnow
on 9/23/11 12:40 am - AK

Don, I apologize for intruding on your “Men’s" forum.  The post came up as a friend under my start page, and I replied because I thought it was interesting; simple as that!

I didn't even look to see what forum it was, my mistake.

BTW, I am posting on the site again, since I can not send you a personal message, because it says you have on account on OH.

kenhud1
on 9/22/11 9:45 pm - Houston, TX
I'm not sure about the bladder issues, but I have to stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I find I get nauseous from any of them.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Lammy
on 9/23/11 1:13 am - North Providence, RI
I cant talk directly about the pee issue, but I know that i was drinking a lot of Crystal Light and was getting a ton of edema in my right leg.  I went to the Docs because my leg was so swollen.  he wanted to do vascular studies and put me on diuretics even though i was peeing very often.  This continued for a few weeks until I heard people having problems with the sweetener in Crystal Light.  I stopped drinking it cold turkey and within 4 days the leg swelling was gone and has never come back.  I stopped all the meds they put me on for the edema and have never had the issue again.  Can't prove that is what it was, but it is the main culprit in my mind

THE HARDEST STEP OF ANY JOURNEY IS THE FIRST ONE 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 63 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 85 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In