2 years out-

Tim T.
on 7/4/13 10:43 pm - Eastham, MA

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for a while- life gets in the way. I'm 2 years out today and just wanted to share some thoughts and insight regarding my journey. 

First, it took 15 months to hit bottom, including the 6 months prior to surgery when I started keeping track and making a conscious effort to change my lifestyle. I went from 305 to 170, my goal weight. I've run hundreds of miles since then including several road races over the last 2 years. I slowed down a bit over last winter and subsequently regained 10 pounds or so. I actually feel a little better with that adjustment and it hasn.t affected my clothes size or waist measurements, it just kind of filled me out all over a little bit. People still remark how good and healthy I look, as opposed to remarking how they think I've lost too much and look gaunt. I can put on shoes and run 5K on a whim with little or no effort.

I used to weigh daily when I was losing but now it's just once a week or so. I experienced no complications from this surgery, and my menu selections have no restrictions, however, some foods I instinctively avoid. I still eat very little bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes. Full throttle ice cream is a no-no. etc. All meals are protein forward and the involuntary restriction surgery has afforded me has served me well. I try to keep my vitamin/supplement intake on schedule religiously, however, sometimes it's hard to get the 3 calcium citrate doses in as the day progresses. I am still off all previous prescription meds, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol.  I always drink before meals and never during, I probably drink more alcohol than I should, which undoubtedly contributed to my regain. I guess we all have our demons.

My advice to the newbies- stick to the plan, do the best you can. If you fall down, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep moving forward. Don't sweat a bad meal choice or a day of overindulgence, remember, this is a life long marathon, not a sprint. The vets on this forum will be here if you need them, for encouragement or a kick in the ass. It got me through a lot of crap when I was early out and trying to figure things out. You chose this journey for a good reason, follow the rules and you will be rewarded.

Although I don't post as regular as I used to, I am always lurking. Good luck!!

Tim T.

Don 1962
on 7/5/13 5:46 am

Hey Bro!  Been a while.  Come back more often!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

chrispy_man
on 7/5/13 3:53 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Tim,

Very inspiring. Thank you for the post!

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

billmacc7
on 7/5/13 12:03 pm - MA

Hi Tim-Really great to hear from you! Glad your doing well...would love to go for a fun run being we both live in SE Mass...If interested pm me...

Best,

Bill M

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Brian K.
on 7/6/13 8:28 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

Missed you bud, glad to hear you are doing well!

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Tenacious88
on 8/23/13 12:51 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Tim,  Good to hear from you, as of yet I have not had surgery, maybe this Dec, God willing. Your post have always helped me , please come back soon. Stay well my friend.

88 Florida.

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 87 views