Hello Men! Needing Some New Manly Recipe Ideas!

andy M.
on 10/5/14 2:43 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Whats going on guys! I am new to this chatroom. lol i didnt know there was a forum just for men! So how is everyone doing! Man it was one crazy week/weekend in sports! I think that was the BEST  day in college football that i can remember with all the upsets! And to top it off, my Steelers won today! Yes i know we suck this year and it was only Jacksonville, but as old as we are (The Steelers, lol not the men in the room) any kind of win will make me happy, especially since my Pirates got knocked out of the playoffs last week! So anyways, back to my question/topic! I am 4 months post surgery (RNY) and i am already running out of ideas for some good recipes. I am getting so sick and tired of the same old thing, chili, chicken, steak, venison, beef, turkey, fish, shrimp, crab....I love all these proteins, but I was wondering if any of you guys have some ideas on recipes to spice these proteins up! I wanna hear all your ideas on recipes to put them in! Thanks Guys!

Don 1962
on 10/5/14 8:38 pm

No recipe help other than the meat, package of Lipton onion soup mix, Coke and cook in the crockpot all day is best I got.  Wanted to say welcome to the forum and join us on the Sunday Weigh In.  Lots of good information and support!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Qajohn
on 10/5/14 11:11 pm, edited 10/5/14 11:12 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Welcome to the club.

When I was recovering from surgery I spent time on pinterest searching for recipes. I don't think I can attach a link to my pinterest page from work, but I'll send it tonight if you'd like to follow me. I also follow a guy who does high protein meals and some of those recipes look pretty good as well. 

Edit: Try searching for me on pinterest, my username is jheerema. 

cabin111
on 10/6/14 5:32 am, edited 10/6/14 5:46 am

NUTS TO YOU!!  No, not that...plain almonds, walnuts, roasted soy nuts...All the plain nuts.  Chew them good...Puree.  If they start to get stuck in the throat drink something (milk, water).  Beef jerkey...Find the ones with the least amount of sugar.  Plain yogurt...Add a small amount of real fruit for flavor (blueberries, bananas).  Go to the local coffee shop and see what soup is on the menu.  Avoid cream soups!!  It just doesn't sit well.  But, things like vegetable beef, chicken vegetable, plain vegetable soups can be enjoyed.  Reminder to eat slowly...Test everything first...See how it's settling down there.  Maybe they have crummy soups at one place...Try another place.  Welcome to our site.  Brian

Mike R.
on 10/6/14 10:37 am - Warner Robins, GA

To spice up my oven baked meats, I dip chicken, pork, or beef in Sriracha sauce and honey mixture then roll in panko bread crumbs before popping into the oven at 425°F and bake until golden brown turning once (~20 min).

Here are some of my goto recipes to change things up too:

BBQ Roasted Salmon

SERVINGS:  4

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400°F.  Combine first three ingredients in Ziploc bag.  Marinate in refrigerator for one hour, turning occasionally.  Remove salmon from bag and discard marinade.  Combine remainder of ingredients and rub over fish.  Place fillets in baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until desired doneness.  Serve with lemon slice garnish.

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING
Calories:  225
Fat:  6 grams
Protein:  34 grams
Carbohydrate:  7 grams
Cholesterol:  88 milligrams
Sodium:  407 milligrams
Sugar:  6 grams

Spinach Fritata

SERVINGS:  18

1 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup chopped mushrooms
2/3 cup chopped onions
2/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (15 oz) whole leaf spinach drained & squeezed dry & chopped
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 lb bacon or sausage

Brown & drain bacon or sausage.  In bowl combine all but meat.  Place sausage or bacon in muffin cups.  Fill cups with mixture.  Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until completely set.

Calories:  157
Fat:  11 grams
Protein:  10.2 grams
Carbohydrate:  2.6 grams
Cholesterol:  70 milligrams
Sodium:  364 milligrams
Sugar:  1 gram

Chicken Tortilla Soup

SERVINGS:  8

4 Large chicken boneless/skinless breasts with fat trimmed
2 Cartons of fat free chicken broth, low sodium (32oz per carton)
1 Red Bell Peppers chopped
1 Yellow Bell Peppers chopped
1 Medium head of cauliflower finely chopped
5 Medium cloves of garlic
2 Large yellow onions chopped
2 Stalks of green onions chopped
1 Bunch fresh cilantro chopped
2 Small cans of mild diced green chilies
1 (15oz) can drained black beans (optional)
1 ear of corn (roasted)  (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt (to taste)
Fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
Chili Powder (to taste)
Cumin (to taste)

In a large pot, combine onions, green onions, ½ of the cilantro, cauliflower, garlic and peppers with olive oil and caramelize until well-browned.  Add-in the chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil.  Turn-down the heat, and using an immersion blender, thoroughly blend all the ingredients together.  Then add-in the chicken, and keep a rolling boil for at least 30-40 minutes.  Once the chicken breasts are completely cooked , remove them to cool (pull them apart a little bit - they’ll cool faster).

Corn – either roast 1 ear of corn until browned and shave-off the corn with a knife, or you can use a regular size can of corn and fry in a pan with a little bit of olive oil or cooking spray.

When the whole chicken breasts have cooled a bit, pull them apart either by hand or with 2 forks, and shred them.  They should be a little stringy when in shredded form, with no large chunks.  Add the shredded chicken back into the pot.  Add the corn, the 2nd half of the chopped cilantro, the black beans to the pot.  Cook for about 5 more minutes, add cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!  Also very nice with a small dab of Knudsen’s light sour cream on top (optional).

Calories:  289
Fat:  5.3 grams
Protein:  34.5 grams
Carbohydrate:  24 grams
Cholesterol:  73.1 milligrams
Sodium:  889.9 milligrams
Sugar:  8.4 grams

Asian Peanut Chicken Tenders

SERVINGS:  4

Peanut Sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Chicken
1 egg
1/2 cup Progresso plain panko crispy bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped salted dry-roasted peanuts
1 package (14 oz) uncooked chicken tenders (not breaded)

In medium bowl, mix Peanut Sauce ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.

Heat oven to 400°F.  Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray.  In shallow bowl, beat egg.  In large reasealable food-storage plastic bag, place bread crumbs and peanuts.  Dip chicken into egg.  Place in bread crumb bag; seal and shake to coat.  Place chicken on cookie sheet.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center and bread crumbs are golden brown.  Serve with sauce.

Calories:  340 (Fat 150)
Fat:  17 grams (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g )
Protein:  31 grams
Carbohydrate:  16g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 3g)
Cholesterol:  110 milligrams
Sodium:  610 milligrams

Enjoy!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

andy M.
on 10/6/14 3:30 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I really appreciate it. It makes life so much easier to be able to jump on here and ask questions and have a bunch of people respond. I have gotten a few recipes off pintrest but i am definitely going to look you up to see some of your ideas. and i have also  gotten a few off www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com Thank u so much for the recipes, i actually made the tortilla soup last week. I love making soups/chili's in the crock pot, because then i have lunches/suppers for like a week. But i a mdefinantly gonna start following and participating in this forum....So where is everyone from? (I live right outside Washington D.C., but i was born and raised in Central Pa (Williamsport/State College Area)

tstowe
on 10/7/14 12:09 am, edited 10/7/14 12:10 am
On October 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Pacific Time, amorse30 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I really appreciate it. It makes life so much easier to be able to jump on here and ask questions and have a bunch of people respond. I have gotten a few recipes off pintrest but i am definitely going to look you up to see some of your ideas. and i have also  gotten a few off www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com Thank u so much for the recipes, i actually made the tortilla soup last week. I love making soups/chili's in the crock pot, because then i have lunches/suppers for like a week. But i a mdefinantly gonna start following and participating in this forum....So where is everyone from? (I live right outside Washington D.C., but i was born and raised in Central Pa (Williamsport/State College Area)

Beaufort, South Carolina here. Beaufort is the home of Parris Island. Movies like The Big Chill, The Prince of Tides, G.I. Jane, and Forrest Gump were filmed here. I was born a hour north of Atlanta in Rome, GA.... Go Dawgs!

I went to DC three summers in a row to put on a vacation bible school for an inner city program. It was great. Lots of work in the evenings but lots of free time during the day. I became WAY too familiar with the metro. lol

tstowe
on 10/7/14 12:05 am, edited 10/7/14 12:05 am

I make lasagna with zucchini instead of noodles. 

Hamburgers without the bun.

Grilled salmon... just a little lemon pepper on it.

You know how there's two ways to tell a joke? One way in front of the preacher and another in front of your buddies? Well, cook that way too. MOST foods can be made healthy if you just change a few things.

And football.....? Georgia won and the Game ****s lost. DAMN good weekend in my book!

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 36 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 36 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 63 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 95 views