Do men do better at WLS?

Jack Allen
on 1/20/15 12:52 am - Leesburg, VA

Do men do better at WLS? Yeah we don't have the monthly stuff, but do we just do better? Im just curious on your thoughts?

Also I've tried to find someone else like me but done with their journey.  Im scheduled for VSG 2/10 and getting a slightly larger sleeve, fr 40 bougie (instead of normal fr 32 bougie).  I don't want issues with water intake.

What will I lose? I'm a runner or used to be so I hope to run off my weight.  Im 330 today, hoping for 310-320 for surgery, will I lose 100 lbs? More? Less? Will I or can I lose 130 lbs and weigh 200 lbs? What would I look like? I weighed 245 in 9th grade (ive been 6ft 6in tall since the 7th grade). So many I don't know.  Looking forward to finding out what happens.

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

Qajohn
on 1/20/15 7:13 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Welcome to our little slice of the internet Jack.

I don't have any experiance with the VSG, and how much you could lose. I would say that regardless of the procedure, its simply a tool to help you acheive your goal. That said, I'm confident you can reach your goal if you use the gift (tool) your given. 

Men generally have more muscle mass, and generally burn more calories than women so for sure we have an easier start at the begining of the process. Success is measured over a longer period of time, so after a certain amount of time I think the success evens out. 

Good luck with your journey, and please keep stopping by, This is a great accountability group. 

Don 1962
on 1/20/15 8:26 am

Jack,

I'll pretty well second what John had to say about muscle mass etc. 

Everyone's WLS journey is different and you can't compare apples and oranges.  The surgeries are tools that rearrange on our stomachs. 

The real work is what goes on between your ears both before and after the cut.  Take what I say, take what John says, take what your Dr tells you, take what the gym rat will tell you, take what Mike will tell you, take what Bill says, take all the information and put it all in a big ass bowl, mix it around and make it what works for YOU!  Confusing and f**ked up sounding I know but you have to do some major sorting out to find out what works best for you then STICK WITH IT!  I'm almost seven years out and I still eat protein first, try not to drink with meals but slip some on that one, I still enjoy a bite of chocolate but my 5-06, 175 pound ass is on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for usually four miles.  I've been in some of the same clothes for at least FIVE years! 

Next to last don't worry about how you will look.  Ain't nothing that a skill plastic surgeon can't fix!

Lastly men have one major advantage over WLS women - their boobs shrivel and droop our junk tends to get bigger!

Han Shot First
on 1/20/15 10:12 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14
On January 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, Don 1962 wrote:

Jack,

I'll pretty well second what John had to say about muscle mass etc. 

Everyone's WLS journey is different and you can't compare apples and oranges.  The surgeries are tools that rearrange on our stomachs. 

The real work is what goes on between your ears both before and after the cut.  Take what I say, take what John says, take what your Dr tells you, take what the gym rat will tell you, take what Mike will tell you, take what Bill says, take all the information and put it all in a big ass bowl, mix it around and make it what works for YOU!  Confusing and f**ked up sounding I know but you have to do some major sorting out to find out what works best for you then STICK WITH IT!  I'm almost seven years out and I still eat protein first, try not to drink with meals but slip some on that one, I still enjoy a bite of chocolate but my 5-06, 175 pound ass is on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for usually four miles.  I've been in some of the same clothes for at least FIVE years! 

Next to last don't worry about how you will look.  Ain't nothing that a skill plastic surgeon can't fix!

Lastly men have one major advantage over WLS women - their boobs shrivel and droop our junk tends to get bigger!

I'm surprised the WLS doctors don't use this in their advertising.  I'm sure they'd get a lot more guys to do it!  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Don 1962
on 1/21/15 9:41 pm

Analogy is that your junk is like an eight foot post in the ground with four of dirt around the base.  Lose the dirt and you have more post exposed.  Still have an 8' post just more to use.

cabin111
on 1/24/15 7:48 am, edited 1/24/15 7:51 am

Ditto on what has been said.  You should do really well for the first 6-12 months...This is new, you are motivated.  You should get to goal weight if you work at it.  Again, it's just a tool.  Here is where the real issue comes in.  Simple carbs...Sugar, cakes, candy, breads, beer.  You start doing really well with the weight loss.  You start getting a little ego (confidence) going. You start to justify going back in small amounts to simple carbs.  You start to hear phrases in your mind like; "I'll have some of that stuff, but work it off later.  Just a small amount...It's someones birthday for gosh sakes...Look it's a holiday.  I only live once!"  So you start to partake in the things that got you so big to begin with.  Things come up, you can't get to the gym, nervous eating...And the pounds start to come back.  So I really believe losing the weight will not be the problem with you.  It is keeping off the weight that many (most) people have to deal with.  Simple carbs are very addicting.  They are...Just saying.  The longer you can stay away from them the better success you will see.  When I go to the local WLS support group meeting (it's been about a years since I've been), I noticed something interesting.  You had about 30-40 post WLS people at the meeting.  Those who kept a fairly normal weight were the ones who watched their simple carbs and did some sort of exercise or walking.  Sorry I'm getting long winded...DON'T TEST SIMPLE CARBS...THEY WILL KICK YOU BUTT IN THE LONG RUN.  Nuff said...Brian

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 84 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 94 views