199.2: 2nd Surgiversary

201.6: 3rd Surgiversary

213.0 Last Weigh in

215.0: CW

Food: F

Water: B+

Vitamins: B

Exercise: D

Its been two weeks since I last weighed in, and I'm not surprised at the result. I had a great time with my kids and grandkids, but the fun is over. Time to grab my life by the scruff of the neck and take control again. Exercise is a bit of a problem this week. I was rough housing with my granddaughter and bruised my ribs. Its been tough to breath. I needed to let that heal. Hopefully I can restart working out tomorrow.

Looking back on the year, I see some hits and misses. Foodwise, I did terrible. I'm having trouble resisting temptation at work and home, and for 2018 I need to do a better job. The temptations aren't going away, so I need to deal with them more assertively. My weight reflects that eating pattern. Looking at my graph I keep on my weight, I have work to do to turn this around. I started 2017 with an injured shoulder. It held me back from weightlifting, but I ended up getting lazy early on. I recovered over the summer, and achieved some goals I never thought possible. For 2018, I need to keep up the cardio and add back some weight lifting. With the exception of a couple weeks in the summer, my vitamins were on point. Bloodwork is perfect, so I simply need to keep doing what I have done in the past.

Wishing you all the best in 2018. If you're going out tonight, please be careful and safe. If you choose to have a couple drinks, please remember that your alcohol tolerance is way reduced after surgery. If you choose to be the designated driver, please watch out for the idiots who choose to drink and drive.

Happy New Year everyone.

82much
on 12/31/17 7:54 am
VSG on 11/28/16

196.7 Last week
198.0 Today

Food: D
Water: C
Vitamins: A
Exercise: F

Got some sort of bug yesterday. Woke up at 7:30 this morning with the chills. Weighed myself, and went back to bed. Just woke up to a damp bed from sweating. What the heck, I re weighed myself, and I'm a pound and a half down from three hours ago. Still not happy with the trnd, but just like the Browns, I know I will lose again :-)

Have a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New Year!
-b0b

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/17 11:57 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On December 31, 2017 at 3:54 PM Pacific Time, 82much wrote:

196.7 Last week
198.0 Today

Food: D
Water: C
Vitamins: A
Exercise: F

Got some sort of bug yesterday. Woke up at 7:30 this morning with the chills. Weighed myself, and went back to bed. Just woke up to a damp bed from sweating. What the heck, I re weighed myself, and I'm a pound and a half down from three hours ago. Still not happy with the trnd, but just like the Browns, I know I will lose again :-)

Have a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New Year!
-b0b

I hope you feel better soon! My exercise crew (four grandsons) didn't make it for their visit this weekend because one got sick. So instead of running around, wrestling, etc, I am loading. It is too cold out to do anything else.

Don 1962
on 12/31/17 8:47 am, edited 12/31/17 6:26 am

Last week: 187.0

This week: 186.0

Goal for 2018 is to get back under 180. Ideally 175.

The link below is from Dr. Duc Vuong. He is a bariatric surgeon in Albuquerque, NM. Agree or disagree with what he says he recommends against working out after WLS. 30 minutes in a nutshell is that "rewards become punishments". Makes a good case.

https://www.facebook.com/thesupportsurgeon/?hc_ref=ARSVCRXMV EZRvlnPkBtNahNK4QvSk00e-oJvdP7bJwrWvDib9TgnjYkmotMGaVtxX4A

As to rest of the New Year - rang cowbell for last time watching M-State win Tax Slayer Bowl from Jacksonville, FL yesterday. Cowboys will once again end their season at 8-8 after losing to Philadelphia today. Football withdrawal commencing. Eating NYE supper at Mom's tonight since I get to work tomorrow. Going to be C-O-L-D!

Edited to correct previous comment: Cowboys won! Finish year at 9-7 but going home to watch play offs their big screen TV's. Was not pretty but even an ugly win is a good win.

Happy New Years!! (if you must drink and drive - we'll provide the chaser!)

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

82much
on 1/2/18 9:33 am
VSG on 11/28/16

Good video, It made a lot of sense to me. I know I have "fat brain" and I wonder if I will ever get my head on straight, as described in the video.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/17 11:55 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I squeaked in at a hair under 274 this week. So no real (net) change in either direction from last week. The bad food is pretty much behind me, as are the parties, social occasions, etc. We are sticks in the mud for New Year's, so no debauchery will take place here tonight.

HW 481

Goal weight 300

Last week 274

This week 274

I have some strong opinions about exercise. I expressed them in another place on these boards and received some ire from the flying monkey squadron. I agree with the good Doctor Vuong about the gym. But. BUT. Exercise is important. I was very active even at my high weight, running a business which involved lots of hard physical activity and being on my feet most of the day.

Exercise burns calories. It is true that one cannot burn enough through activity to overcome bad diet. It is how much and what we eat that allows us to lose weight. But it is exercise that allows us - helps us - to maintain a calorie deficit. I swear some people never burn more than their resting metabolic rate gives them. That's not living. That's existing. Get off your butt and move around!

I hate the gym. I hated it when I was a kid in high school, even though I earned two varsity letters. I hate it now. I went there just long enough after surgery to get my stamina back. My goal, as the doctor put it, was to regain and even increase my stamina. I accomplished that, and stayed just long enough that I was ready to resume working. Because of all the lifting associated with my work, my surgeon advised an extra long recovery period. Neither of us wanted me busting a gut.

As soon as I could, I resumed bike riding, something I hadn't done in years. I love it. I look forward to it. And a one hour ride burns anywhere from 500-750 calories depending on a number of variables. Three or four hours of that a week not only allows me to run a significant deficit, it gets my heart and circulatory system in great shape. According to my fitness tracker, I have a resting heart rate in the upper 40s to low 50s.

The mistake people make, and a friend of mine is a good example, is thinking that if I burn 500 calories on my ride, I get to EAT 500 more calories. When I was discussing it with her, her eyes got big and round, and she said, "Wow! That's like free eating! You can eat those calories penalty free!"

"Noooo!!!! You don't get to eat them back! It's how you continue to lose!" I sat there thinking, "That's why you're still 40 lbs away from goal five years out."

So no, exercise, doesn't help you lose, but it DOES help you maintain if you do it right. I can see a difference in myself these past few weeks. It's too freaking cold to ride right now. I have an indoor bike, but I really don't like it. It is a tremendous chore to get on it for as little as 15 minutes, and that is even with the help of Nextflix. But give me the outdoors and the trail, and I can go for well over an hour and enjoy every second. Find something you like to do, and then do it. If it is more fun and less chore, you'll soon see maintenance or even losing gets easier. I am not a doctor, but I can do the math.

Don 1962
on 12/31/17 2:52 pm

I'm with you on exercise being important. I walk my five miles 3-4 days a week on the treadmill. In horse circles it could be called a "hot walker". Works on the same principle but indoors, in front of the TV and in a climate controlled environment. Usually do i****ching Judge Judy or the early local news before we eat supper.

Image result for hot walker for horses

I can see his case and it makes sense even though it goes counter to everything else expounded in the WLS community. Like Dr. Garth Davis suggesting we go vegan eating vegetable protein vs meat based. My way of thinking is do your research, follow your surgeon's program, do some more research, evaluate what is working and not working, stick with what is a get rid of what is not. I've got some work to do in 2018.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/17 11:59 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On December 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM Pacific Time, Qajohn wrote:

337.6: High weight Dec '13

311.3: Surgery day 1/16/14

191.8: 1st Surgiversary

199.2: 2nd Surgiversary

201.6: 3rd Surgiversary

213.0 Last Weigh in

215.0: CW

Food: F

Water: B+

Vitamins: B

Exercise: D

Its been two weeks since I last weighed in, and I'm not surprised at the result. I had a great time with my kids and grandkids, but the fun is over. Time to grab my life by the scruff of the neck and take control again. Exercise is a bit of a problem this week. I was rough housing with my granddaughter and bruised my ribs. Its been tough to breath. I needed to let that heal. Hopefully I can restart working out tomorrow.

Looking back on the year, I see some hits and misses. Foodwise, I did terrible. I'm having trouble resisting temptation at work and home, and for 2018 I need to do a better job. The temptations aren't going away, so I need to deal with them more assertively. My weight reflects that eating pattern. Looking at my graph I keep on my weight, I have work to do to turn this around. I started 2017 with an injured shoulder. It held me back from weightlifting, but I ended up getting lazy early on. I recovered over the summer, and achieved some goals I never thought possible. For 2018, I need to keep up the cardio and add back some weight lifting. With the exception of a couple weeks in the summer, my vitamins were on point. Bloodwork is perfect, so I simply need to keep doing what I have done in the past.

Wishing you all the best in 2018. If you're going out tonight, please be careful and safe. If you choose to have a couple drinks, please remember that your alcohol tolerance is way reduced after surgery. If you choose to be the designated driver, please watch out for the idiots who choose to drink and drive.

Happy New Year everyone.

We see our four young grandsons on a fairly regular basis. It is a tag team cage match every time with them. They love to wrestle with Papaw. And Papaw ends up with lots of bumps and bruises.

feels_so_good
on 12/31/17 12:51 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Looking forward to a new year. Feeling great about the journey I've taken this year and the success ahead of me. I'm aware I feed off the energy of others and I spend most of my time at work. My work family has been kicking ass and that's got me energized and motivated.

I'm not a NYE resolution type of person, tried it several years and forgot/failed every one. This year I'm looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone including entering the dating game, spending my free time off my couch, and watching the MN Vikings win the Superbowl.

Food today - homemade pizza, bottle of wine,

Activity today - watching football

Happy New Year - be safe!

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

billmacc7
on 1/1/18 4:16 pm - MA

High-346

Low-196

Last Week-237

Today-240

Numbers don't lie. I am 7 years Post op and STRUGGLING! Today is the day though so NEED to do following:

Eat Mindfully

Exercise Regularly

Drink Water Frequently

Take Vitamins as necessary

Food-F

Water-D

Vitamins-A

Exercise-C

Have a happy healthy week! Thanks for your posts they are encouraging!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views