End of my rope

kb2010
on 7/26/11 9:12 am - CO
I am dealing with some really bad issues right now and I am starting to scare myself. I am @ 5 months post WLS and I don't know if it is hormonal or just life but I feel like I am slowing losing my mind. I am depressed alot of the time and horribly angry the rest. All of these overwhelming feelings of anger and irritation consume me and I go on a rage to my daughter or Husband. My daughter is 13 and really going thru a disrespectful and smartass time and it makes me soooo mad. I feel pissed on by her daily and I just lose it. I am not able to find a job and feel worthless on top of always worrying @ money. I don't want to hurt myself but there are days I wouldn't care if something happened to me. I am just so damn angry at the smallest thing. I get mad at slow drivers, crying babies, rude strangers..I want to just go blow steam off at them for no reason. I feel like I am ruining my marriage, my daughter and my life......,.

HW:390   GW:170ish

Tenaciousc1974
on 8/1/11 5:13 pm - CA
I'm so sorry no one has replied to you yet. I was just poking around on the boards and saw your post. How are you feeling?

Take care,
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

sjbob
on 8/5/11 1:39 pm - Willingboro, NJ
 Are you under a psychiatrist's care?  You obviously have anger issues.  Prior to surgery they were aimed at yourself.  From your post, it sounds like you are angry at yourself and at the world.  We say that WLS is not an operation on the mind and we usually imply that that means food addiction.  However, it doesn't solve mental or emotional problems.  

I suggest that you discuss your situation with your primary doc.  Then you should probably see a shrink.  I did note that you are not working and I saw how that situation affected my wife when she was out of work for 2 years until this past Dec.  Looking for work is like having a job with no benefits.  I assume that you are on your husband's ins.  You may need to see a therapist and have counseling, but seeing a shrink and possibly being put on anti-depressants may make more sense in the short run.

Counseling is not cheap and they generally want you to come on a regular basis.  You may not feel that you are able to afford that.  If possible, get counseling for yourself and then either go for joint counseling with your husband or for family counseling.  I see a shrink a few times a year but the agency he's at also has couple's and family counseling.  If you can't afford it outright, there may be a program available through your county.
sjbob
on 8/11/11 6:23 am - Willingboro, NJ
 I'm just writing a follow-up note and I'm wondering how you are doing.  Many people do have depression following surgery and may have to take antidepressants atleast for a short term.
pandavenise
on 9/17/11 5:50 am
 I am sorry you are having a hard time. When we start losing weight our hormones go crazy. I had a lap band done 2 years ago and when I started losing weight I went crazy too . Yelling at my son all the time and having real anger. Finally he yelled at me one day and said I wish you would have never had that stupid surgery and it was then I realized what was going on. Now it is 2 years later and I am going to have a revison to RNY Oct 3r and am really worried about my emotions. I am going through some the same feelings very angry and have depression also. My counsler thinks I might have some bipolar issues. Everything ****** me off too. I have a sixteen year old son at home also and his mouth ****** me off also. I think the thing that helps me is that my older daughter and her husband live next door and I bithch to her and she reminds me about his age and how they are so self absorbed with there  selfs. I didn't pay attention to your age but  I am going through menapause also and that does affect you also. 
Miss_Kitty
on 11/17/11 7:05 am - New Bedford, MA

Do a Google search for Post Surgical Depression.

Your body is going through a shock because of your surgery, physical as well as mental.

I felt like I was going to go crazy too and just couldn't understand why.

I hope you feel better soon.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 671 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views