Feeling Depressed

severman
on 8/22/13 10:54 am - Indianapolis, IN

I was hospitalized in May for depression.  I had ECT treatments and they made a big difference.  This past month I have been feeling down and depressed again.  SO I don't know if the ECT treatments have worn off or if it is because of a med change.  I had a hysterectomy on July 24 and I stopped taking my Topamax on July 27.  I was on Topamax originially because they thought I had seizures, but they figured out that I didn't.  What I do have are myclonic jerks (it's where I just jerk when I am awake and in my sleep.)  I know Topamax is sometimes used as an antidepressant.  So I started taking the Topamax again, but know it will take awhile to get into my system. But I'm scared as to what if that is not the reason I am feeling depressed.  I do not want to ever get back to the low of where I was in May.  But I feel I am headed there.  I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions?

Stephanie E

smallisland
on 8/22/13 6:36 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi Stephanie,

I would suggest talking to the doctor that prescribes your mental health medications.  Maybe he/she can help you figure out what is going on.  It would be best to check with him/her in case it is a full depressive episode coming on.  This way if it is, it can be nipped in the butt before it gets worse and if it is not there are no worries.  Hope this helps and that things start to get better for you :)

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Lovie290
on 4/22/15 3:00 pm

Hi,

This sounds awful. Depression is an extremely complex disease and can occur due to a variety of reasons like medical illness, life changes like a move or death of a loved one and many more. Don't let this take over you. I had eating disorders due to excess work related stress. Later I realized I am suffering from bulimia. I came across bellwood health service reviews on treating eating disorders and gave it a try. I am glad to tell to this really made my life take a new turn and I am with the results.

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/15 11:39 pm - nyork, AK

Depression can be treated with better nutrition. Studies have shown that such treatment not only has a beneficial effect on the person's physical health, but also a favorable effect on the person's mental and emotional health.

This nutritional treatment includes modification of diet, vitamins and minerals, and the addition of some amino acid supplements.

The amino acid supplements are essential elements that are precursors to neurotransmitters. The amino acids D, L-pheylalanine and L-tyrosine are a viable alternative to antidepressant drugs.

A deficiency in vitamins and minerals in the body can also cause depression. If this condition is corrected, depression owing to this cause can be alleviated.

Even if you are not sure if you lack vitamins and minerals, supplementing your diet with them will often improve symptoms related to depression and will contribute to better overall health.

Some Very Useful Herbs

The herb St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) in an extracted standardized form is being used in Germany and other European countries to treat depression in its mild and moderate forms.

It is also known to alleviate anxiety and sleep disorders.

This herb claims many benefits - among them are its anti-depressive and antiviral properties.

The Ginkgo (Ginkgo Biloba) extract, while not a primary treatment for major cases of depression, is an excellent supplement to any depression-related syndrome.

Studies are beginning to show that Ginkgo can be used to treat some forms of depression that are not responsive to antidepressant agents.

In cases of resistant depression, Ginkgo Biloba is beginning to appear attractive to the medical world. So If you're looking for some effective home remedies for depression, just use these.

Cut Back on Those Soft Drinks

Many practitioners advocate a nutrition oriented approach to treating depression.

They believe that the answer to the depression question can be found in the diet of a person. Studies show that a decrease in the intake of sugars and refined carbohydrates can produce relief from symptoms of depression.

This diet will entail cutting out sugary drinks, pasta, white bread, and other processed foods.

For your carbohydrate needs, it would be better to stick to grains, whole wheat, and other natural plant based carbohydrates.

Also, cutting down on these kinds of food can do wonders for one's overall health.

This treatment is recommended for those who feel depressed and languid during the late hours of the morning and the afternoon.

For these people, eating sugary foods will induce a temporary feeling of alleviation from depression.

However, this is only for a few minutes, and the body automatically reverts to languid depression.

Depression is one serious disorder that should not be taken for granted. Some people will equate depression with other natural feelings such as anger, happiness, and sadness.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 686 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 893 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1593 views