Look great, lots of energy, getting stronger daily but head full of cobwebs?

rickgpgh
on 11/12/13 1:52 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 04/09/13

So I know that I will get many responses and or message for me to contact a therapist.  Already DONE.  Waiting for a call back.

I am looking for some of you who may have had similar issues and want to get your feed back on what worked or didn't work for you.

I had surgery back in April of this year.  During surgery it was determined that I have thin blood and its harder for me to stop bleeding on my own that the average person.  This resulted in a second surgery to clean some things up and an extended hospital stay.

My high weight was 372.  Six months prior to surgery.  My surgery weight was 338 and today I weigh in at about 210#.  Yeah!! Right? 

I exerices 5-6 times a week at the gym for an hour plus and swim twice a week to move those crazy muscles you only access when swimming.   

I have never felt better physically in my life.  This includes prior to age 25 when I ran 5 miles each morning. 

I have two issues: 

1. I am very insecure about discussing my weight loss with others.  And as well all know we become the center of attention when seeing people we don't see on a regular basis.  In my profession I see people a few times a year.  So if i have 4 meetings a day, I see no less than 8 people who all want to talk about my "change".   Granted it is all positive feedback.  I am flattered I really am.  But I have always been a private person and do not liking putting my personal business on the street.   

2. I ignored the red flags and got into a serious relationship with someone I have known for years several months after surgery.  It got hot and heavy and now it is crumbling apart.  I am trying to salvage a friendship and mend a broken heart regarding our relationship/friendship.   In addition I am trying to learn from my mistake and not make the same mistake twice.  At the end of the day we probably destroyed our friendship beyond repair and need to move on and stop seeing each other.  Everyone I tell the story to says tear it off like a band aid.  It will sting but it will be over soon. 

So the purpose of my post is two fold. 

If any of you out there have advice I am all ears.  (if you just want to say see the shrink, save my time and yours.)

Please learn from my experience.  I do not recommend getting involved in relationships immediately before or after this surgery. Our bodies and minds go through significant change over a relative short time frame.   I was prepared for every physical change, challenge or complication I could imagine.  I was not prepared for the psychological part of it. Also be prepared for people treating you differently.   I see some people once or twice a week and still have to hear it every time I see them.  

Thanks in advance for any feedback.  It amazes me at the hoops we go through to prepare for this surgery at the bequest of the insurance companies.  Only to be left with minimal follow up care outside of post surgery, 3 month, 6 month appointments with our surgeons.   I had case management via my insurance company but it changed when my plan changed, so I called this AM to get re-enrolled.

I have had difficulty finding a Psychologist who knows about the RNY patient.   The surgeon at my Dr's office did not have an appointment for three weeks when I called, and referred me to another Dr who never returned my call.  IF there is anyone who can refer me to a good psychologist in Pittsburgh PA, I would appreciate it.  I have calls into a couple of Drs.  Waiting to hear back. Also if anyone knows of any support groups in Pittsburgh,  I would be interested in attending.  The only one I have attended since surgery was geared towards new patients and frankly was a waste of time.

Thanks for the feedback and your kindness in advance.   At the end of the day I would still have my surgery and deal with the bumps in the road, I have never been healthier and I owe some of that to this website because without OH I would have never had this surgery that probably saved my life.  

Have a good day and good luck to everyone on this long journey.

Rick. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 687 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 894 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1595 views