Question

-Katie
on 8/16/14 9:24 am - CA

I am in the authorization part of my process for the Sleeve. I take oxcarbazepine, Lexapro, and Abilify. I was wondering if the absorb well after surgery. I do not want to hit depression like I have in the past. Very worried.

-Katie

mobailey68
on 8/19/14 9:50 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Hello,

I do not have experience with Lexapro or Oxcarbazepine but I do have some with Abilify. I started taking Abilify after 3 years on Seroquel and a 100lb weight gain. I thought it would help to reduce the chance of gaining more. Come to find out after gaining another 50lbs that weight gain can be a side effect of Abilify. I don't believe that the drug causes weight gain but the act of putting food in my mouth did that. What I did find with Abilify is the increased obsession to eat. Once I transferred to a different medication that obsession has lessened greatly.

I am not saying to stop taking your medication just wanted to tell you my experience with Abilify. I have not had any issues with malabsorbtion of any of my psych meds so far. As a matter of fact one of my depression meds has decreased in the past 6 months. I don't know if that has to do with my weight loss physically or because I mentally feel better due to the weight loss, if that makes sense.

Some people due experience a bout of depression after surgery per my surgeon's mental health professional. I did not go through that thank goodness. They just wanted me to be aware of the chance and to have a plan in place if I did need help.

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. It has been a total game changer for me and I would do it again and again in a heartbeat!

Mo

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

MaronitaMay
on 6/24/15 3:16 pm

I did not have the Sleeve (I had the Lap-Band) but in my experience each individual is so very different when it comes to absorption.  After surgery, I had trouble taking ANY medication EVEN CRUSHED!  I, however, managed to prevent being psychiatrically hospitalized.  Generally before surgery you should have stopped taking any slow release and extended release medication and should never be prescribed these types of medication again.

MaronitaMay

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 683 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 676 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 890 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1589 views