alchocol problem 2 years after bypass

Adel60610
on 8/3/15 6:44 pm

I am the spouse of the person who had gastric bypass 2 years ago. never had a problem with alcohol. now it is a big problem, due to absence of ferments destroying alcohol in the body. he doesn't admit ,but we all concerned about it. his mother, father brother and friends are willing to stage an intervention. just want to make sure that everybody knows the danger of addicting to alcohol, on a second year. look on internet, there is  a lot of articles there about this issue. If I only knew, if anybody ever told me about it.I never saw its coming. we had happy marriage for 10 years. I don't recognize him anymore. he became distant and cold to all people who tells him about it. 2 glasses and he is belligerent.

be aware please.

hl1524
on 10/21/15 12:17 pm - Austin, TX

I'm sorry you are going through this. Thank you for posting. My surgical center warned me not to even have a drink for the first 18 months after surgery. Alcohol made me sick prior to weight loss surgery (probably due to the huge issues I had with my blood sugars) so it was a huge deterrent. After having gastric bypass I can see how one could easily become an alcoholic. It doesn't take very much at all for me to be drunk. I try to limit any alcohol that I partake in to special occasions. I think for a lot of people it is trading an addition for food, for something else. I see a lot of people posting on the general forums about Cross Addiction. I really hope your husband gets the help that he needs.

RNY 8/27/2014

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/16 9:56 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

God I'm really sorry to hear this. I have know a couple of other who have suffered "transfer addictions". It basically boils down to among other things we were addicted to food and for some it's only food. The problem is that whatever issue drove us to that "addiction" is still with us even though we've lost the weight. 

It's great that we have to go through the Psych evaluation prior to the surgery to make sure were ready to make the commitment to the new lifestyle changes that will be with us for life. I just wish while we were there they would spend a little more time getting to the root of the issue(s) that led us to the low point in our life. Continued help some some not all would be a great plus and a chance to truly capture the happy new life we so very much want and seek when we start this whole process.

I feel for you and wish you the very best of luck. Please feel free to ask all of us here for advice or if you just want to sound off. Alcoholism is a serious issue and devastates lives and families. 

God bless you folks and keep you in his prayers! Rich

mynameisprl321
on 6/28/16 10:14 pm

Try to convince him to stop this habit. Withdrawal symptoms may hurt, but he can get rid of this gradually. Make him attend in programs and sessions related to this.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 671 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 671 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 883 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1584 views