Positive effects of massive weight loss on mental health

PuggleDad
on 2/20/21 12:01 pm, edited 2/20/21 12:02 pm

I will not share my entire life story or anything, but we all get so lost in talking the changes in appearance or physical health, but what happens to our mental health is fascinating as well. In my personal life, I have seen my anxiety change in drastic ways. I'll always have at least some constant anxiety, that's always just lingering, but as far as social anxiety goes the change couldn't be more drastic.

My moods have been better overall as I like my new body. I like having things to do or dress nicely for (this has been a terrible year for that, obviously). I almost like being seen now a bit too much, when before all I wanted to was hide.

I am not saying all this weight loss is going to cure my mental stuff or anyone else's. I do want to point out that losing weight won't solve all your problems, but if being that big of a person affects you so much that it, for instance turns you into a hermit for a time like it did me- then maybe the weight loss actually is part of the solution to some of the mental stuff taking a toll on us, just like therapy can help us treat our bodies better.

We all should put as much effort in keeping our minds right as our bodies, because neglecting the one is going to harm the other.

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/22 2:29 pm, edited 4/25/22 3:45 am

When I lose at least 1 kilogram, I become much more positive and it really affects my mental health. I recently had menopause which caused weight gain, discomfort and depression. But a friend told me about Premarin Cream which Ñ-ncreased the level of estrogen in the body and I was able to lose weight instead of gaining it. My life really got easier after that and that's why I'm very happy

seylen
on 9/13/22 8:17 am

I felt more confident before the weight loss. Because I had beautiful breasts. Even though I didn't lose much weight, my shape changed with the weight loss. It upset me a little.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/22 6:40 am, edited 12/14/22 10:40 pm

Yes, it's true that it will have a positive effect on mental health. My closest friend told me that after surgery and recovery, she feels much better. Now she is always confident, and have no fear to go out somewhere!

Anord1965
on 7/11/23 12:10 pm, edited 7/18/23 9:55 pm

I also have experienced a significant reduction in social anxiety after losing weight.
It's remarkable how shedding excess weight can boost self-confidence and make us feel more comfortable in our own skin. The joy of having a new body, dressing nicely, and engaging in activities we enjoy can contribute to improved moods and overall mental well-being.
Also, I've consulted a psychiatrist in NYC that helped me forget about anxiety. His conclusion was that having a healthy lifestyle and taking the right steps to treat anxiety is the key to happiness.

Samslm
on 7/19/23 4:52 am

My experience was quite similar. Struggled with weight and self-esteem, but when I started working out and taking care of myself, it really gave me a new perspective. Of course, it didn't magically solve everything. I still had anxiety, but it became more manageable because I felt better in my skin.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 688 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 895 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1596 views