Sleeve vs RNY

Wanda A.
on 7/31/13 11:52 am - Clover, SC

I was all set for the RNY, malabsorption, dumping syndrome, tools that would aid in my weight loss.  I found out these tools would only last approx 18 months.  As well as the sleeve was developed as 1st step for super morbidly obese (which I am, bmi >60) and the RNY is 2nd step once enough weight is lost.  Confused to say the least.  I've waited so long, only want to do it once.  Help!!!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our darkness that most frightens us. 
We ask ourselves -- Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people do not feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the Glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone.
And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.
M Williamson

mkvand
on 7/31/13 9:46 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

A VSG is step one of the DS, not the RNY.  Originally, people who were too ill to have the DS all in one procedure had the VSG first.  They would then lose enough weight to improve their comorbidities and have the bypass portion later.  Many people lost enough weight through the VSG not to need the bypass, and that's why the VSG is now offered as a stand alone procedure. 

Whether you can lose enough with just the VSG depends on your metabolism and eating style.  If you have a very slow metabolism and/or are someone who grazes constantly or drinks a lot of liquid calories, you may not lose enough with just the VSG, but this would also be true of the RNY.  For the super morbidly obese, the DS has the best long term success rate, but it also has the highest complication rate and requires an intense post-op supplement regimen.

Definitely take the time to research all three options (ok, there's four options, but the band has the lowest rate of weight loss and the highest rate of revisions, so I'd avoid it), and be really sure you're picking the one that's right for you.

pineview01
on 8/1/13 2:51 pm - Davison, MI

I agree with what has been stated. The Sleeve is the first stage of the DS not the RNY the re-routing is very different and that is why the DS has the best long term weight loss results.  The mal-absorption of calories with the RNY only last about 18 months BUT the mal-absorption of nutrients last a life time.  With the DS the mal-absorption of both continue.

I would (and did) pick the sleeve over the RNY.  Both have about the same long term results but, I don't have to worry about the supplementation the the RNYers do.

So step one VSG and step two was DS for the super morbidly obese.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Labyrinth
on 8/2/13 4:39 am

Hey, I'm pretty new to this..and I'm planning my DS for Summer 2014.... but I'll tell you what others have told me.... go to DSFacts.com and check out the statistics for LONG TERM weight loss... For those of us with high BMI's (mine is a 54-57, can't remember right now) and a lot of weight to loose, the DS is the best choice.  And I've also noticed that a LOT of people that use these forums have had revisions to their lap band, sleeve and RnY to the DS... Not sure about you, but I'd rather just have ONE surgery if I can help it.  :)  Go check out the regular DS forum here stateside....You'll get a lot of information there too.  Hope this helps!!!

Wanda A.
on 8/2/13 5:06 am - Clover, SC

Thanks everyone for insight.  Labyrinth who are you going to for DS?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our darkness that most frightens us. 
We ask ourselves -- Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people do not feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the Glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone.
And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.
M Williamson

Labyrinth
on 8/3/13 2:27 am

Everyone is going to tell you that Dr. Ungson is the ONLY choice.  He is vetted and has performed more lap DS surgeries than any other in Mexico. But I've also considered Dr. Aceves, which until recently(or still may) worked with/under/alongside Dr. Ungson.... so I guess was kinda trained by him.  But there have also been good reviews about Dr. Kelly....

Look through the boards.  You will find TONS of information... some of it I don't understand yet.  But everyone I've chatted/emailed had been REALLY nice and will help you out with any questions you have.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views