Can you tell me about Dr. Aceves ?

LessofRaven
on 9/11/13 7:45 am - San Jose , CA
VSG on 09/24/14

I've been looking at surgeons in Mexico for weeks. I like Dr. Aceves. The idea of being in a full hospital in case something goes wrong is comforting. Can you tell me your good and bad experiences with him and having the surgery in Mexico in general? What were the facilities like? How are your results? If you could afford doing it in the US would you still have done it in MX with Dr. Aceves? 

Thanks so much!!

Sleeved! 9/24/2014 by Dr. Bhoyrul  SW: 265  CW:253

First Goal 10% (238.5) , Second Goal 25% (198.5), Finish line (150)  

Bella Italiana
on 9/11/13 11:33 am
VSG on 08/17/13

Hi!  I had surgery with Dr. Aceves 25 days ago (Aug 17th) and I can honestly say it was a really great experience.  I would recommend it to anyone, whether or not they can afford the surgery in the US, and I mean that.  The main reason I chose Aceves was 1) his reputation, and 2) three full days in a full hospital.  I had a very smooth surgery with no complications, and I still can't imagine being kicked out the day after surgery.  It was really great to know I'd be there for three days after.  And the facilities (Hospital Almater) are great- modern and extremely clean.  Aceves himself is very attentive, he checked on me at least once a day after surgery, and that was in addition to the other 1 or 2 doctors that would stop by and check on me, and the nurses at the desk right outside my door.  

I can tell you I was terrified of having surgery in Mexico b/c of everything I'd always heard.  I was prepared, if necessary, to get up and walk out before the surgery if things didn't feel right.  However, every step of the way and the more I saw, I felt more and more comfortable instead of worried.  

I have posted pictures in my profile of my experience down there.  I did this because when I was doing my research, it really helped me to see pics of other people's experiences.... I liked that I knew what to expect, visually.  Check them out if you want.  Also, I'll be very happy to answer any specific questions you have, just reply to my post here or private message me if you want.  Good luck!

mnmommaof2
on 9/15/13 7:55 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I had surgery with Aceves about 11 months ago.  I agree with everything Bella mentioned in her post and would like to add just how well run his entire program was.  Pre-op I was really impressed with his contact person, She answered all my questions honestly and promptly.  I talked with her for months during my "research" stage and never once did I feel like it was a sales pitch.  (Contact other coordinators and you'll find this is often not the case).  While I was down in Mexicali I was very well taken care of.  There were always 2-3 nurses for a handful of patients, and the docs came to check on me often.  There is a coordinator who's only job is to make sure you are getting what you need, all your questions are answered and you feel informed the entire time.  She really is lovely.  After going home the care doesn't stop.  Aceves and his team are only a phone call or email away and I have contacted them frequently.  I always knew what was expected of me and how to ensure my own success because of the easy to follow patient instructions.  I could go on and on... but I'll just leave it at I most definitely recommend him.

He's more expensive than many of the MX surgeons, but It was totally worth it for the excellent care I recieved.  I looked into having surgery in the states, and I had the option of traveling to surgeons inside the USA for about 15,000.  I chose Aceves because of his experience and reputation... not because of his location.  I actually just had gallbladder surgery, and my surgeon peeked at my sleeve while he was in there-- said my sleeve looked fantastic, and I must have had an excellent surgeon!

I also belong to a local support group in MN that has numerous Aceves patients.  There are 5 of us that have gone to Mexicali!  We all have the same story.... and all were genuinely impressed with the entire process and would recommend him to everyone!  

I hope all this helps you in your search for a surgeon.  Feel free to contact me via PM for questions!  

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 194 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 400 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1023 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1581 views