Gastric Bypassed by Dr. Elias Ortiz @ Mi Doctor Hospital

Chaychee
on 10/28/13 6:09 am
RNY on 10/14/13

Hi! I'm Stacey and am 30 years old. I had the RnY Gastric Bypass surgery by Dr. Elias Ortiz at Mi Doctor Hospital on October 14, 2013. I had a great experience with the entire A Lighter Me team. They truly are a 'team'! They work together effortlessly to get everything accomplished that needs to happen while you are in Tijuana. The hospital was clean and fresh and their equipment was modern. The staff at the hospital were wonderful as well. Some fun nurses there! My mom went with me and we were both treated great. The driver, Abraham, is a real class act. He took such good care of me, helping me with my bags, getting in and out of the van, checking on me in my room, just being there to answer questions and chat with me. He told me "I have always lived in Tijuana and so I know where to go and where NOT to go." I felt assured and confident that he would keep me safe and would be there if I needed him. What a great guy! Eduardo was so much fun too. He is the coordinator in TJ and he and Abraham make a dynamic duo! They are constantly busy helping clients and getting their needs met. They are a great pair. I had a great experience at the Marriott Hotel as well. Abraham helped me check in and didn't leave my side until I was in my room with my luggage. The broth and popsicles that are included as a benefit at the Marriott were great too. I could go down to the restaurant and order my broth and a popsicle while my mom was able to order something more substantial. Mine was always complimentary by putting my room # on the receipt. Abraham has a medical card that lets him take us over the border in the medical lane so you don't have the hours of wait time like other traffic. 
A little more about Dr. Ortiz...he was confident when talking with me pre-op and made me feel assured that he had no hesitations and was completely competent to do my surgery. His English was good and we didn't have any problems communicating at all. He checked on me several times throughout my stay...I saw him a lot more frequently than I would've seen the surgeon back in the states. He checked on me 2-3 times/day and would let me know what surgeries he had that day and when I he would be back to check me again. He really cares about his patients and makes sure they are taken care of. I hope to return to TJ and visit the people that I met on my incredible journey, but hopefully as a chaperone to a friend or family member who wants to have WLS by Dr. Ortiz after seeing my success.

Chaychee
on 11/15/13 5:21 am
RNY on 10/14/13

Just giving an update on my surgery...I was 1 month post op yesterday and am still complication free!!! I have lost 36 pounds so far (14 during the 2 week preop diet and 22 since the surgery itself)

Luvinfunkyworm
on 2/15/14 1:58 am

I am going in May! How are you feeling now that you are a few months out?

My2Babies
on 3/18/14 8:16 am

When are you going in May? I am scheduled for surgery on May 19th

kimmalcom01
on 12/10/14 7:08 am

Hi ChayChee,

I'm considering gastric bypass in Mexico, I read your post and its very encouraging. I was wondering, now that its been a little over a year since your surgery by Dr. Ortiz, how do you feel, have you had any complications? Are you happy with the weight loss you experienced?

Thanks in advance for your response

Kim

Chaychee
on 12/15/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

Hi Kim,

Yes, it has been a little over a year since my surgery.  I started my pre-op diet at 261 lbs.  On the day of my surgery I weighed in at 247. (I lost 14 lbs doing the 2 week pre-op diet).  Today I weighed in at 151, so I have lost 110 lbs.  I would do it over again in a heartbeat!!  It has been such a blessing to me.  I haven't had any complications though because the anatomy of my digestive track has changed I have more frequent issues with upset stomach.  I start feeling confident eating all kinds of foods but if I deviate too far then I get stomach pains.  That isn't a shocker though in my opinion.  And really, I can eat a wide variety of foods.  It's not like I'm stuck with soups and protein shakes.  There are certain foods I have found I have a hard time with that cause me problems. (Nothing major, just cramping that lasts quite a while.)  I just know what to avoid as I go along.  I have been super happy with my weight loss and am still losing!!  It has slowed down obviously after 14 months but I am still getting about 3-4 lbs/month without working for it.  I'm sure if I wa****ting the gym and better with my protein I would be losing even more but I'm a mom to a very active 6 year old, I work full time, go to school part time, and have a disabled spouse so I have a lot on my plate and there are priorities over exercising.  I feel fortunate though to continue to lose weight without 'trying'.  I have recommended it to several friends and have had a couple of them get the sleeve.  I wanted the bypass though to help me with my cravings for sweets (I experience dumping syndrome when I consume too much sugar so it is definitely a deterrent.)  The bypass was the right choice for me but only you can decide.  Best wishes in your decision.  I know you will be treated well if you decide to go with Dr. Ortiz.  He's very good, takes his time, and is sweet.

kimmalcom01
on 12/16/14 2:05 am

Chaychee, 

Thank you so much for your response, I'm happy to hear you ate still losing and happy with your results

Kim

stephaniej713
on 10/11/14 11:33 am

I am having Dr. Ortiz do my sleeve in the end of November. Just curious, did the mi hospital have WiFi? Trying to find a cheap way to call home.

beccaroo
on 10/19/14 2:11 am - NE

Stephanie, my husband and I are scheduled for November 29th, perhaps we'll be there at the same time? I read on another post that they do have WiFi you just need to ask for the login info, and they also let you use their phone apparently. :) 

VSG schedule November 29th! 

stephaniej713
on 10/19/14 11:59 pm

I think we are leaving on the 25th, so I think we will just barely miss you.  I am so excited to start the process.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 195 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 401 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1024 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1582 views