I want your opinion

cuhomie
on 5/10/17 10:53 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post on here. I have been reading your posts for a few weeks now. I would really like to hear from folks on who they chose for their surgery and why. I have looked at several and have narrowed my choice down to a few. My choices as of now are Dr Quinones, Dr Juan Lopez Corvala, Dr Louisiana Valenzuela and Dr. Ariel Ortiz. If any of you guys have used one of these surgeons for surgery, I would like to hear about your experience.

A little about myself, I am an RN who has struggled with my weight since my late 20's. Now at 47, I have diabetes and sleep apnea. I do not eat fast food and feel I eat pretty healthy, I just tend to over eat and seem to always be hungry. I plan on having my surgery around November or December of this year after I am able to save for the surgery.

Thanks again for your input and I look forward to sharing in my weight loss journey,

Matthew

TvanV
on 5/12/17 9:03 pm
DS on 03/09/17

I can't help you with any if the doctors you named, but if you decide to check out Dr. Antonio Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric, I'm happy to chime in.

Good luck with your research!

cuhomie
on 5/12/17 9:34 pm

I would love to hear about your experience. I have not made a set in stone decision and want to talk to as many people as possible to make an informed decision on who will do my sleeve this year.

TvanV
on 5/13/17 6:36 pm
DS on 03/09/17

Below is what I wrote about my experience a month after I got back from Mexicali, and here is a link to Dr. Esquerra's reviews here on Obesity Help. http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/antonio-esquerra/reviews

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

I received a BilioPancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch from Dr. Antonio Esquerra on March 9, 2017. I specifically chose Dr. Esquerra and Mexicali Bariatric after extensive research. I actually have insurance here in the U.S. that would have covered weight loss surgery for me, but I read long ago that one of the greatest indicators of a surgery's success is how many times the surgeon has performed that particular surgery.

I did hours and hours of research and realized that my covered surgeons here didn't have as much experience with the BPD-DS as I would like, so I began to research self-pay options. I narrowed down my choices to Dr. Esquerra, a surgeon in California, and a surgeon in Washington. I did hours more research and discovered that while most people really liked the surgeons in California and Washington, they weren't always happy with the support staff communication. That wasn't at all the case with Dr. Esquerra. Not only did his patients rave about him, they also raved about the entire staff at Mexicali Bariatric. I couldn't find a single negative review, which is unheard of in these days of anonymous internet reviews!

Once I got to Mexicali and experienced the customer service and patient care, I was so happy with my decision. Meeting Dr. Esquerra, Dr. Gutierrez, and Dr. Campos only further comforted me. They were all personable, professional, and very reassuring.

Just yesterday I had a follow-up Upper GI fluoroscopy to make sure I was healing properly, and the radiologist took one look at the screen and said, "Whoever did your research surgery should be commended, it looks perfect, an A+ job." That was music to my ears, and is exactly what every surgery patient wants to hear.

seattle_sleeve
on 5/28/17 1:57 pm

I used Dr Quinones on April 26, 2017 for VSG and was treated with major care and respect by his staff at Pompeii - I fully recommend Pompeii.

elle2
on 6/23/17 1:59 pm

I started doing my research in May. I was looking for a surgeon in Mexico for the sleeve. I ended up choosing Dr. Ariel Ortiz. His credentials are good and when you book the surgery, you book directly with his staff. There is a ton of information about him, his staff, and the procedures he does on his Obesity Control Center website. My surgery is scheduled for July 5th, so I'm getting closer.

cuhomie
on 6/25/17 12:24 pm

Congrats, July 5th is so close. My date is set for 10/30. I can't wait. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Athenaluna
on 8/11/17 10:32 am
VSG on 11/10/17

Hello everyone....I came across a program, weight loss agents, I filled out the medical history questionnaire, and was pretty reluctant to do this but I have been waiting to get a gastric sleeve for freaking 5 years, but because I have Medicare they are dragging it out longer each time I go in...so I thought I'd just register and see what happens....the next day I got an email saying I was approved and the date I chose was available, they even called me and set up the actual surgery....This is a $4k procedure, with a $250 non refundable deposit, I scheduled the surgery today, but haven't paid the deposit yet, I have a week, I want to do a bit more research on this program and doctor. So far it seems legit but I'm really anxious about traveling to Mexico for this risky procedure. But I have been reading positive things, I was wondering if anyone here knows any info about if this is a legit thing or not, I don't want to waste my life savings on a botch surgery, and put my self in danger. But if I can just get some people who legit went through this and doesn't regret it, I'd feel so much better....

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 194 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 399 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1023 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1581 views