Had VSG w/ Dr Alvarez and Endobariatric on July 9 2018. GO!!! TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK!!!!!

taprackready
on 7/24/18 4:27 pm, edited 8/2/18 2:22 pm
VSG on 07/09/18 with

This is an update for anyone searching. Anyone who's nervous about the going to mexico stigma. Anyone who was in my position. I am 32, live in NY and am un-insured. I was quoted 25,000+ locally and told I needed to pay up front before they would even give me an appointment for the dietitian.

I had VSG with Dr Alvarez of Endobariatic.com in Piedras Negras Mexico on Monday July 9th.

It was THE BEST DECISION I COULD HAVE EVER MADE.

Fill out the form and send it in even if you're only considering it. Once you do, the patient coordinator Susan sends you email after email of information. Shes quick at responding to questions. She answered everything I asked. I committed, still nervous about the whole going to mexico thing, but I made the decision after months of research. I came across a webinar from Dr. Alvarez from Tennessee in 2017 and after watching it, I knew he was the surgeon for me.

Once you send the deposit to hold the date, that's when you start getting the real information. Susan emails you all the info you could imagine. They also sent me a "care package" with all Dr. A's books, everything Susan had emailed me in paper and on DVD/CD.

I was asked to start a THREE week pre-op liquid diet on June 18th due to my weight & BMI. I lost 35 lbs on that diet alone. And it is not nearly as bad as you'd expect. Once you are through the first 3 or 4 days it becomes a regular thing. I'd get hungry two times a day and that is when I would have my ISO-100 protein shakes.

As for the experience itself. I landed in San Antonio with my mom 11:15am on Sunday the 8th, called the LaQuinta Airport shuttle who picked us up maybe 10 minutes later.

We arrived at the Laquinta and were met by the recently discharged patients being checked into the hotel by Rosy the driver. They were all upbeat and feeling great. After a few minutes another woman arrived and we were off to Eagle Pass to pick up one more person. We stopped at a mini mart/gas station about an hour and 10 minutes into the ride (which is just over two hours to Eagle Pass).

When we arrived in Eagle Pass we picked up the last person and headed another mile down the highway to the boarder. Rosy said there are random searches when crossing into MX but she usually does not get stopped. (we did not) We crossed into Mexico and headed to the hospital which literally felt like it was down the road. Dr Alvarez was still there and wanted to do the meet & greet there versus at the hotel.

After sitting with Dr. A for a few minutes where he explained everything and answered any questions we had, we jumped back in the van and headed to the hotel which was another 2 or 3 miles away.

We were checked in by Rosy. At this point my mom was hungry so we went upstairs, put our things down and then went back out to see what was in the area. There are a handful of restaurants across the parking lot from the hotel. This is where you finally realize you are in Mexico because everything is in spanish and there are a handful of employees at the restaurants who speak english.

My mom decided to go back to the hotel and order from the hotel itself where the people in the main lobby all spoke english and took the order.

The next morning, the hotel shuttle is ready for 7:00am (remember to switch your phone/watch to the correct time if youre changing time zones). My cell service (sprint) would go in and out so I stood on airplane more the entire time and spoke to people through social media and WiFi.

I was the last to arrive at the hospital because they had to transport us 2 by 2 since their van was either broken down or missing keys.

The second I walked in, the nurse Stephanie met me in the lobby and brought me right into the back room to do chest X-Rays and do my blood work. They weighed me and then I was sent upstairs to the second floor and waited 10 minutes until they called me over. At this point I signed a few papers, and paid the remaining balance on the procedure. (its about 8:30 at this point).

When I was done there, the nurse told me to go say goodbye to my mom because I won't see her again until I wake up in my room.

I did that and walked through the door into a pre-op staging room where I changed into the gown, and the IV was started. Since I was going to be last, the nurse told me to hold onto my phone because it would be about two hours before I went. So connected to the Wifi I scrolled instagram, facebook, youtube etc.

11:00 ish the anesthesiologist came in and said we are almost ready to go. Gave me a check on vitals, and then the nurse said they were going to give me something to relax me a little because at this point I was just anxious. So she put it into the IV and said I would start to feel it in a minute.

Next thing I knew, I was waking up as they were wheeling me into my room. The entire surgery was done and I felt like I literally just closed my eyes for a second. I felt no pain and was still kind of groggy from the anesthesia. I didn't have much gas and just felt really good (sure the drugs helped).

The first day I did feel like vomiting A LOT. I've been under anesthesia before and expected this. But having nothing in your system, you just violently dry heave and it sucks. Maybe within an hour of waking up, I got dressed again and was out walking around the halls.

The nurses and doctors are in and our every hour or so, checking on you, checking vitals. Making sure you're okay. Dr A comes by once or twice. Tells you how everything went (he tells whoever you bring how it went while you're still in recovery.)

SIDE NOTE: HOLY DRY MOUTH BATMAN. The entire day all you can really do is wash your mouth out with water. Youre not allowed to swallow anything.

That night the nurses come in once or twice so if youre sleeping you'll wake up. Theyll give you another round of pain medicine and something for nausea and acid blocker.

The next morning, I was asked if I still wanted the IV in for pain meds or if I was willing to swallow a small pill, if needed. I opted for the pill since I just wanted more freedom.

Then the greatest thing happens. The nurse walks in with a cup of ice chips. OHHHH HOW SWEET YOU ARE!!!! That day was spent mostly watching TV and walking the halls with my ice chips. Later in the day you have a quick visit with the psychologist who explains everything to you from hunger and eating to fuel and not to just eat. Emotions, what to expect, etc. You also visit with the nutritionist about what to eat and when to eat. Portions etc.

They asked us if we want to visit the market in town which we did. Its a bunch of little stores with small figures and hats etc.

That night we met with another nurse who gave us the prescriptions, pain, acid blocker, anti-biotic. I was given a sleeping pill to help sleep since we were not on IV anymore.

Wednesday July 11th. DISCHARGE DAY. Up early, excited to go home, excited it was over, I took my first shower since the morning of surgery. Met again with the doctors who gave me one last checkup before releasing me. Everything was good and I was good to go. Met Doctor A again in the lobby before leaving. Thanked him for everything. He thanked me for trusting him and was excited for me to continue with my journey. We took a few photos and were off to the boarder.

There a single lane bridge which crosses the RioGande so it takes a few minutes go actually get across. At this point you already gave Rosy your passport. You stop in customs, they open the van door and ask who is who. Okay good to go. BOOM you're back in Texas and headed back to San Antonio for the day/night. I flew back home the next morning.

I never felt any pain other that the incisions the entire time. By that Friday I felt like I hadn't even done the surgery. I was telling friends "to think that 80% of my stomach was removed 4 days ago, I wouldn't believe it". THAT IS HOW GREAT I FELT.

That brings me to today, 15 days post op. Down 50+ lbs since June 18th when I started the pre-op diet. I feel AMAZING. My back no longer hurts. My knees no longer hurt. My headaches and migraines have already started to subside. The psoriasis on my hands seems to be clearing up. I just feel PHENOMENAL.

So if you're considering it. DO IT. Get over the stigma of Mexico. Dr. A is brilliant. The staff was amazing and made me feel as comfortable as I could. The facility is immaculate. It was all in all the best and easiest thing I've ever had to do.

GO! TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK! BECOME HEALTHY.

MTBBW
on 8/18/18 7:22 pm
VSG on 04/30/19

So happy to hear that you had a great experience with Dr A!

DillmanTx
on 12/13/18 8:50 am

I know this post is a few months old, but thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've been talking with Dr A's office for the last week or so considering the gastric sleeve. Reading stuff like this really helps put the mind at ease about making this decision!! :)

I'm SO glad everything went great with you .. now I can only hope for the same results!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1614 views