Standard of care in Mexico

KimmyJJ
on 4/16/20 2:27 pm

Hi all, I'm still researching for surgery and leaning toward having VSG. If you had surgery in Mexico, did the hospital have high standards of care and cleanliness? I have never been there, but if I end up paying cash for my surgery, I want to weigh my options and have good info. Thanks!

hollykim
on 4/20/20 9:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 16, 2020 at 9:27 PM Pacific Time, KimmyJJ wrote:

Hi all, I'm still researching for surgery and leaning toward having VSG. If you had surgery in Mexico, did the hospital have high standards of care and cleanliness? I have never been there, but if I end up paying cash for my surgery, I want to weigh my options and have good info. Thanks!

I have had several surgeries in Mx. the standard of care is excellent, actually better than some of the care I have received in the US.

if the cleaning staffed mopped the halls outside my room once, they must have mopped it a thousand times.
spme of the hospitals outside appearance is older but the insides are state of the art. They have the same equipment as you find in the US, including crash carts for emergencies and every other necessity. I am a retired nurse so I know what I am looking for.

many facilities have staff who speak English from one degree to another and google translate speaks is the best ever.

hope this helps.

KimmyJJ
on 4/21/20 3:41 pm

hollykim, this helps greatly, especially coming from a retired nurse. You would know what to look for, so I appreciate you letting me know that. I see by your post it lists a surgeon and I'm guessing he did your bariatric surgery?

Was it easy to get to the surgery center and did they have recovery onsite or was it nearby?

Getting information from someone who actually experienced this is so important to me and helps greatly!

hollykim
on 4/21/20 5:33 pm, edited 4/21/20 10:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM Pacific Time, KimmyJJ wrote:

hollykim, this helps greatly, especially coming from a retired nurse. You would know what to look for, so I appreciate you letting me know that. I see by your post it lists a surgeon and I'm guessing he did your bariatric surgery?

Was it easy to get to the surgery center and did they have recovery onsite or was it nearby?

Getting information from someone who actually experienced this is so important to me and helps greatly!

yes most surgeons have a driver who picks you up from the hotel and takes you to the hospital then brings you back to the hotel when you are discharged. Depending on your procedure you will stay the. Umber of days your surgeon wants in the hospital then more days at the hotel.

my plastic surgeon actually picked me up at the hotel himself and drove me to the hospital.

all of my surgeries were in hospitals and I was i the recovery room for a while, just like I the US then went to a room where I stayed for several days. Then on to the hotel.

edited to add: Dr. Ungson at Mexicali Bariatrics is the only surgeon group I recommend. They will give you the experience you will be wanting. I have had three surgeries and the experience with them was the best.

bucabae1031
on 3/7/21 9:36 am
VSG on 03/02/21

People considering surgery in Mexico should keep in mind that many US doctors were trained in Mexico.

There are only a small number of openings in US med schools every year and those go to the better connected, with some exceptions, of course.

The goal, of course, is to create artificial shortages and keep fees high.

That leaves a lot of academically qualified students out in the cold. Thus, many go out of the country for their educations. Mexico has long been the most popular destination.

Students also save a ton of money and avoid hundreds of thousands in student debt.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1615 views