It is not the surgeon, it's the country!

Kelly M.
on 5/25/03 3:42 pm - Menifee, Ca
Hi, I am in the process of appealing my insurance company here in California and have done some investigating about WLS in Mexico. I really have no doubts about the surgeons ability or experience. What I worry about is the hospital. THis is Mexico we are talking about. There are no regulations and guidlines. I have been to Mexico and that is what I fear most. IF something life threatening were to arise, is this hospital prepared or equipped to handle any situation, in most cases....NO! Growing up near San Diego we always said..."don't let any medical emergency arise while down there in Ensenada" So , that is my concern. IS THE HOSPITAL CLEAN AND THE O.R. A STERILE ENVIRONMENT? There are just soooo many questions I would have to have answered! Then, maybe I could go ahead with WLS in Mexico....besides hiding it from my parents. They already said they would freak out!!!
lilsneaker
on 6/3/03 10:27 pm - Austin, TX
The Cardiomed hospital is clean and sterile, at least it was until I stepped into the wrong room. oops! Seriously though, the hospital is not the fanciest and does show a little age, but the equipment is up-to-date, and the staff work very hard to take care of you. The hospital is adding on to the top. I was very satisfied with the hospital. Just don't go in expecting the fanciest hospital.
Cecile C.
on 6/4/03 8:51 am - Vallejo, ca
I had surgery in Mexico and there are 3 hospitals that are regulated by blue shield. Go to the web site mylifepath.com and search mexico , they will list the hospitals and give you more information. I went to a non regulated hospital but was very pleased with the care. cecile
latrishanickle
on 6/7/03 3:43 am - Pensacola, FL
Hi~ It sounds like you have your mind already made up about Ensenada,Mexico. If I were you I would go somewhere else, because no one is going to be able to convince you of the care we recieved at Cardiomed Hospital. Go to Dr.Aguirre Wallace's patient forum and read everyone's reveiws who have went to him, if that don't help choose another surgeon. Do you really think that many people would put their selves at risk if it is like you think it is. Think about that for a minute, this is our lives we are talking about. Would I go back now knowing what I know? Yes, it's the only place I would use knowing what I know now!!
John E.
on 6/14/03 9:19 am - San Francisco, CA
Because of our nursing shortage, managed care, the healthcare funding crisis, there is an unusually high rate of post op infection in US hospitals. I would try to get some hard data on the rate iatrogenic infection in the US, Mexico, Brazil, etc. I can't speak for Mexico, but Argentina, Buenos Aires specifically, has a lower rate of post op infection and follows regulatory guidelines based on the US model. I've heard members of congress state we have the best healthcare in the world. The "we" they refer to is their fellow members of congress. Unless you're having surgery done at Walter Reed, you probably won't receive more competent care here in the US. I would check hard data from international health organization first. It's true you can't sue if you go out of the country if something goes terribly wrong. Personally, I chose to weigh this against getting the best treatment.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 228 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 427 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1054 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1615 views