Any troubles with your PCP for aftercare?

Dinka Doo
on 3/25/04 9:41 pm - Medford, OR
I had to get a new PCP who would agree to take on my aftercare for my open rny with Dr. Aguirre, but I still haven't seen him yet since I've been home. I have my first appointment on Monday and wonder if there are any glitches I need to watch out for? I have staples that will need to be removed, which he is aware of. This doctor is being proactive and consulting local surgeons for info and guidelines for aftercare, but is there anything I can advise him of that you all encountered? Dina
Charlotte H.
on 3/25/04 10:30 pm - Taylor, TX
Dina - I was very fortunate to have a good PCP before surgery. When I told her I was going to Mexico for surgery and asked if she could remove my staples and drain tube she looked shocked, but said yes. When I actually came in to have them removed, she forgot to deflate the bulb at the end of the drain tube and pulled it out inflated! (She practically had to brace herself against the exam table to do it.) She apologized all over herself - felt awful! That was at 8 days out - then I went in at one month and she said that she had called a surgeon to make sure that she hadn't done any damage by pulling it out like that. The surgeon replied that the only thing she might have done is make me not like her as much! She had also called me at home a couple of days after to make sure I was alright. Actually, all it did was bruise me a little - otherwise no problems. She is very anxious for me to come in in a couple of months so she can do blood sugars, cholesterol, etc. testing. Charlotte
Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 9:13 am - Medford, OR
Charlotte! I know you mentioned that she forgot to deflate the tube - boy that must have been painful! I was so happy I had it done while I was in Mexico. Had I known of someone who would do it in the US, I think I would have hightailed it out of Mexico sooner as I was so homesick! But being there as long as we were was sort of a safety net anyway in case something went wrong. Dina
dannern
on 3/25/04 11:28 pm - N. O., la
Hey guys, I didn't consult with my PCP prior to surgery, but had an appt with him last Monday almost 1 month post op. My mom took out the drain and half the staples and I took out the rest. My Dr. didn't even ask me anything about who did my aftercare. All he asked was what procedure I had done and who did it. I told him it was done in Mexico. He didn't ask any additional questions or refuse to treat me. He did draw labs (and give me a note for work---which is why I went to him at all). All labs came back fine and I have some extra weeks off from work---Hooray!!!
Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 9:15 am - Medford, OR
Deanne! So good to see you posting here! I was wondering if you got the extra time off work. I'm glad your doc obliged you on that. My old PCP wouldn't do squat for me on this, thus the new doctor. Can't say I'm sad though - this other one is close to retirement anyway. I go in on Monday to get my staples out and can't wait. They are so annoying! Dina
y0maria
on 3/26/04 11:32 am - CA
My brother and sister (both nurses) took out my drain tube and my staples. My PCP has been great about requesting blood work and is supportive but he is not experienced with gastric bypass patients but he is so sweet. He asked me if I was going to Mexico for plastic surgery. I told him "No, if I decide to have PS it'll either be in Costa Rica or Brazil!" He just shook his head. My surgeon has a gastric bypass doctor that is in his suite with him so he asks him questions. Between them and my family I'm doing fine.
Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 3:44 pm - Medford, OR
let me know if you find a great paradise for the PS! If my insurance doesn't pay for that, I may have to follow in your footsteps! Dina
Marlene S.
on 3/27/04 5:50 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I'm glad I did not have to search for a new doctor. My PCP would not take out all my staples for fear of liability. He said that if any of the openings came open, he would not be able to sew me back up. This is why he used so much caution. He's a good doctor and I trust his judgment. He's known me for years. When I informed him that I was going to Mexico and that I will be back so he can check me out, he said no problem. He even gave me a staple remover to take back home with me just in case. And between my sister and I, we took out a few today with no problem.
Dinka Doo
on 3/27/04 5:41 pm - Medford, OR
Marlene - That is really cool your PCP gave you a staple remover. I wish I had one - I'd be yanking all these puppies out about now! Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 195 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 401 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1024 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1582 views