Never hungry...is this normal?

jazzyjan
on 1/15/07 12:57 am - Pueblo, CO
I had my surgery on Jan 3rd and since coming home from the hospital, I have absolutely never once been hungry.  Is this normal?  I can smell food cooking and it smells good but it doesn't cause the old hunger bell to start ringing.  Has anyone else out there experienced this?  It is comforting right now, because it helps me to stay strong when I see things I cannot touch, but surely this doesn't last forever, does it?  It took me over an hour to eat 2 soft boiled eggs today, and I couldn't finish them.  This is my first attempt at soft solids and I am really amased at how little I can eat.  Comments? Suggestions?
JasperSagewalker
on 1/18/07 1:46 am - Freedom, CA
The Stanford Surgery Center says that the stomach creates the hunger hormone(I forget the name of it) and once the stomach is disconnected there is no longer any hormone.  Sounds good to me.
alicemenezes
on 2/7/13 8:37 pm

No it definitely doesn't last forever. However you need to consume your prescribed dose of calories per day or it could cause malnutrition and have other severe effects. You may not want to eat but you got to follow what you are told to. Eventually it will be alright.

bigstoonod
on 2/5/07 3:02 am
The absolute best advice that my best friend gave he after his RNY was to "follow your inner voice." If you feel hungry and want certain soft foods, try them. If you don't feel hungry, go with that. It will change as time goes on. But do yourself a favor and take the advice. For me, I was a steak-and-potatoes guy pre-surgery. I didn't feel like having any beef for 7 months after my surgery- which was ok. Then I had just a small piece of a rib eye steak. I chewed it well, made sure it was moist, and cut very small pieces. Delicious. I, too, struggled with soft boiled eggs. Then, after several weeks, I could eat them better. For breakfast now, I often have 3-4 soft boiled eggs. Listen to your inner voice.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 885 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1216 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2033 views