My Rutledge experience

gawdess559
on 5/5/08 12:16 pm - Canada

You wouldnt buy the worlds greates****ch if the salesman was a jerk would you?

My name is Emma, and I had been looking forward to meeting Dr. Rutledge for months. For those that don’t know who Dr Rutledge is, he performs something called the Mini Gastric bypass or MGB for short. He is in Las Vegas and I have researched him intensely because I was SURE this was the surgery for me. I heard that he was coming to Toronto, I live in Ottawa. I was told by one of his secretaries whom I had been talking with online for months, and she was a very nice person, her name is Kim.

I told my parents about Rutledge coming to Toronto and I fought to go and see him. So  my parents caved and we drove 5 hours to Toronto, stayed in a hotel and went  to his informational session, I was so excited it wasn’t even funny, I was finally going to meet the man that would one day save my life.

We go in and we sit down, hes setting up his camera so he can go live online and eventually the session starts. He talks for a little bit but then says that he could talk for hours but the important part is hearing peoples stories and answering the questions that people have, so he starting picking out people who had their hands raised. 45 minutes go buy and I have a question, I raise my hand… and keep it raised. He goes to a post op patient to hear their story, the same story over again “thank you so much for giving me my life back hallelujah, I lost X amount, I was X amount I can now do this ect..” now don’t get me wrong, I applaud them, but they were the only people being noticed. A woman behind me said “you have to get his attention” and I thought… why? Im a person, I have valid and important questions, I have my hand raised, what more do I need to do?

Time goes by, its about an hour and a half into his 2 hour session and my hand is still raised and he looks me in the eye, STRAIGHT in the eye so I think “FINALLY, no one else has their hand up and hes seen me for sure” nope… he picks a post op person to start talking. I couldn’t take it anymore, I left the room.

I was followed by the woman who sat behind me, she was very lovely and tried to help but I was too hurt (more reasons why and Ill explain in a bit) and then my Kim, the same Kim who I talked to online. She said to me “oh honey come back inside and Ill stand beside you and get him to talk to you” and I said “no, you shouldn’t have to, Im a f***ing person and I shouldn’t have to dance or have been on his damn table for him to realize that Im there” she looked at me and said “oh honey that isn’t appropriate” and tried to touch me when I said” please don’t touch me, I have an anzeity disorder and I feel like Im gonna flip” she walked off and said “fine do whatever”

Im sorry but if Im so upset and feel like ive had my heart broken, Im not going to curb my language for your benefit…

PART of the seminar http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/52068/be7HbmPrb23GY2P&pos=ancr

I gonna backtrack and make note at several things that he said that were wrong…

-diet and exercise don’t work, if your not at your goal weight, come in and get surgery, because nothing else is going to work

-when God made adam and eve I wish I was there so I could have recoomended to him to put markers on the human body

-at one point in the beginning I heard someone talk about cue cards… suspicious…

-he was all smiles and took credit for everything, yeah he applauded the people for the amount of weightloss but said several times that he was the cause of that, Im sorry but even if you had surgery, its YOUR success, not just his

-he wouldn’t answer any questions regarding Ohip, several people had questions and instead letting the audience talk and help each other answer that question, he dismissed it

-at one point he said how he had trained other doctors to perform this surgery and they had failed several people and people had died so he “fired” those doctors

-after stating the above as part of a comment to a post ops question, he then said, if your friend has any problems Im sure I have that persons number and can refer them” how rude….

-when people weren’t praising him, he looked about the room and seemed bored

-he montioned that you shouldn’t tell a doctor how to do their job, yet at the same time in my opinion, we all know our own bodies

-he acted humble but he was showboating

h_mgb
on 5/8/08 4:22 am, edited 10/30/08 11:56 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Emma,
 sorry about your experience, I was there but I had to rush to my work after about  15 min !!
i had mgb done almost 6 months ago with Dr.P in Florida http://clos.net/cesare_peraglie.htm he is a nice, patient and caring guy . you can ask him as much as you want , even he answers your call in person, so  try him if you consider the mgb and don't let anyone let you down,, 
good luck

peoplesdoris
on 5/9/08 1:44 am - Canada
Dear Emma , I am sorry that you mistakenly felt that way about Dr Rutledge .I was at the Toronto meeting and I recall you holding your hand up to speak to Dr R. but you did that after I had my hand up  ,way before you  , so Dr. R .  had selected me just before you left .  I can say that you were totally wrong when you say Dr. R . was selecting only the post opps . I feel that you owe Dr. R . an apology for thinking and writting this about him when you are not correct . Had you been more patient Dr . R  would have answered your questions. Doris P.
slugworth
on 5/9/08 2:31 am, edited 5/9/08 2:49 am - Stanwood, WA
I am sorry but this is all your perception. Dr R is a great and caring man. If you have a question for him all you have to do is call his cell phone. What other doc would answer his own phone and talk to you when you are not even his patient? Dr R has nothing to do with insurance companies. That is your deal, not his. He does the surgery. He is not in billing. As for him being wrong about diet and exercise working, how is that working for you? If it works why don't you just do that? -VAn
Laussie
on 5/9/08 3:04 am - Winter Haven, FL
Amen Van!  If it was working for any of us, we would have gone that route.  Hey!  We've gone that route over and over and repeatedly failed and gained more to add insult to injury!  Girl, you are not ready for this surgery with that attitude.  You have to be ready to do this for yourself.  He will answer his phone.  Both Dr. R and Dr. P are caring and competent surgeons and people as well.  We fatties are used to being slighted but I think you have taken it to the next level.
melc
on 5/9/08 5:08 am - Canada

Gawdess you are taking his "jokes" way to seriously.  I was there and yes he made some jokes, some that you have twisted in your recapture of them, but they were funny and people laughed.   Many people had their hands up, and he couldn't get to all of them.  He doesn't recognize some of the people who have had this surgery, he does so many and their appearances change so drastically.  For me, it was great hearing everyones story, and yes I asked a question after all the post op's had told their stories.  People feel that Dr. R has given their life back to them, and it's ok and very right that they feel this, and I am just waiting for that day in June when I am saying the same thing. I'm sorry you took it all so personally, my friend and I left there feeling like it was a totally awesome meeting where around 40 people stood up and gave their testimonies.  It was a very good cross section of people from young to old to ones that had no complications to ones with complications, but not one person regretted having the surgery.   I think what Dr. R is doing is nothing short of amazing. Elsie

pilot61
on 5/9/08 7:03 am

My Name is Scott Tidd and I am a patient of Dr Rutledge. I had the MGB with him on Jan 17, 2008. So I have dealt with CLOS and Dr Rutledge for several months now. I can tell you from first hand experience that Dr R is the finest surgeon and person I know. The CLOS staff are very caring and helpful people and I would count all of them as new friends.  I think you might have a skewed view of Dr R. He can talk to us all on a level playing field, that may be what you though was bad humor or whatever. He is very witty but in a kind way. If you asked 1000 people 999 would know him to be a great man and 1 would have a view like yours. The part about "Several people dying" is not correct. I asked the question to him in clinic the day before my surgery "how many people have died from the MGB?" The truth is that 3 people have died out of more than 4000 surgeries. Two of those were non MGB related and one was from a leak. This is a major surgery, but it has a very low mortality rate. Look up the numbers on RNY and compare the numbers. As far as eat right and excercise not working, well I have eaten and excercised my way from 175 pounds right on up to 324 pounds. Weigh****chers, Jenny craig, slim for life, I ahve done them all and still I have gained in the end. Now I am 112 days post op and I am down 79 pounds and my blood work is perfect and I can excercise because I want to and no I am able to. I am sure your story is similar to mine. The outcome of your story could be the same as mine if you had the MGB. Please don't bash the man who game me my life back. I am using this tool as he designed it and it is working perfectly. If what you said in your opinionated rant has steered someone from getting this life saving surgery, shame on you.I am sorry you had a bad experience.  The MGB maybe isn't for everyone. There is a psychological part to it as well. I wish you good health and happiness like so many of my MGB family. Scott Tidd

songbirdwoman
on 5/11/08 3:33 am - 'St. Marys, Canada
Hi ((((((Emma))))))))), It is so unfortunate, especially for you, that you feel this way.  You have missed out on positively experiencing a down to earth, humble, kind and genuinely caring man who did have something to offer you regardless if you spoke directly to him or not.  I think of many of the other people who had so much to offer as well.   I too have had an anxiety disorder in the past and understand what your experience is.  I can only speak for  myself as to what my experiences were mentally and emotionally.  I remember my thinking process was quick thinking, high energy.  I was overly sensitive and would over react to situations..   My thinking was quite negative, I was defensive and my emotions were all over the place which just created a vicious circle of more anxiety, negative thinking and overeacting emotionally to those around me.   Unfortunately, that can be  the nature of the beast in dealing with an anxiety disorder.  I remember my expectations of people around me were definately too high, expecting them to assume they knew how I felt and should respond as such.  When they didn't ,I would get upset and angry just like you did in 'Toronto with Dr. Rutledge.  Your anxiety was quite high before you got to Toronto with having to 'fight' to be able to come.  I am assuming from what you wrote that you needed to talk your parents into driving you.  Whether we have an anxiety disorder or not, not everything works out like we want them to.  That's life.  We do have a choice to either make the best or worst of any situation that comes our way.  It saddens me that you came such a long way away to see Dr. Rutledge and you missed out by over reacting.  This whole situation has contributed to more anxiety and anger for you.  As far as him talking about OHIP; or having people present talk about it amongst themselves during the the meeting he was facilitating, he could get into alot of trouble and seen as promoting Ontarionians to apply for OHIP so they could have surgery in the US.  If people need to talk  about OHIP, the most appropriate time would be 'after' the meeting where people could talk amongst themselves.  Anything to do with OHIP is between a patient, their doctor and OHIP and not between Dr. Rutledge and any patients who want to apply to OHIP for this surgery provided by Dr. Rutledge or Dr. Peralgie.  I applied for OHIP and was accepted.  The information I was given was from others who had traveled that road before me through the MGB support group.  I do not know if you take medications or not to help with the anxiety.  When I was experiencing my high anxiety, I was also dealing with depression.  I don't know if this is the same for you or not.  I learned  stress management techniques which helped me tremendously so I could have a better quality of life.  One suggestion that would be good for you Emma, is taking an Assertiveness Training Course, doing any kind of energy work like Reiki, Therapeutic Touch or Cranial Sacral Therapy  and learning to deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath.  You deserve it girl!!!!! You are worth it!!!!!! Just to let you know, I had my surgery 17 days ago in Florida with Dr. Peralgie.  I have done alot of research before having this surgery as to what would be the safest, least invasive and have the least risks and complications.  That is why I had the MGB.  I hope that you do not take offense to his note and take the time and patience needed to re think your position.  Take care of yourself.  You are so much deserving of having love, peace and joy in your heart.   Sending safe and warm reassuring comfy hugs, Linda xoxo  
gawdess559
on 5/11/08 5:19 am - Canada
ok, although I get what your trying to say, your reply is actually pretty offencive. I was not "overreacting" as you put it, he jilted me. Just becasue you think hes the best thing since sliced bread dosent make it so. Anger and frustration? your damn right, and with good reason too, Im entitled to feel the way I feel. Im sorry, but saying i was over reacting is a slap in the face considering you are not in my position and did not see what I saw. As for your "deep calming breaths" I actually use techniques for my anxiety. Ive been seeing a psychologist for over a year now and she has worked wonders on me. also anxiety isnt a general thing, I dont have triggers or anything like that, and it isnt an emotional problem, its an out of the blue bodily reaction and I havent had an attack in months. 'Your anxiety was quite high before you got to Toronto with having to 'fight' to be able to come.  I am assuming from what you wrote that you needed to talk your parents into driving you" yeah I did, so they could see what i thought I saw in Rutledge, it was an experience I wanted to share... and I had to "fight" becasue my mum had inventory to do at work, and my dad has a failing liver. Dont compare yourself with me in any shape or form, because when your talking about your anxiety and my anxiety your acting like yo uare high and mighty over me and that you have proper control, no one can control their anxiety, they deal with it. Ive had my training and its working, I no longer have to se emy doc weekly, I see her once every 2 months because of how much better my anxiety has gotten. and before you think im over reacting to your response, Im not.  You are putting down my opinions and pretty much telling me that what I think and feel is wrong just becasue your opinion is different.
songbirdwoman
on 5/11/08 10:16 am - 'St. Marys, Canada
Hi ((((((Emma))))))), Your perception is way off base in your understanding of what I wrote.  It sure was not my intent to come across as being 'offensive' or as being 'high and mighty over you'.  I am just not that kind of person.  You are absolutely right.  You have the right to your opinions just like any one else.   I am just happy to hear you are getting the help you need for your anxiety disorder.    Keep up the good work and wishing you the very best.  Linda      
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 895 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1226 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2041 views