OHIP funding

cherylynnivan
on 1/13/09 8:18 am - Canada
I have been looking into having the MGB for several months now, my Dr. had sent an out of country form to OHIP for funding. They where funding the MGB up until the first of Dec. They recieved my request for funding early Dec. and I was refused. I am wondering if anyone else on this forum have been a casualty of the new OHIP decision to not fund the MGB? They will still fund other WLS out of county so I strongly believe it is not about the financial aspect of it, they have just decided that the MGB is not the preferred WLS surgery for Ontario residents, after already appoving 300+ patients. There have been alot of former patients and pre-ops such as myself that have sent letters to the CLOS and to OHIP to protest and hopefully change there minds. I am very frustrated and upset to say the least about the way our government operates! I pay a great deal of taxes as well as all of us in Ontario. I strongly believe that we should be able to make a sound decision on our own as to what type of surgery we want, after all it is our life! I have many co morbidities such as BMI of 42, type 2 diabetes, hypertension,IBS, and I have also had a heart attack in 2004, at the age of 46 yrs. My dr. clearly stated that I was a good candidate for this surgery etc. and still they have denied me the right to live a healthy life. They will fund the RNY out of country and I have also been doing much research on going that way if I need too, but I really would rather have the MGB. I realize there are complications in any type of surgery but seem to be less with the MGB. I am so torn and frustrated right now....am hoping that OHIP will indeed change there mind and fund the MGB once again but have strong doubts that they will do so. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what I should do?? I do need some type of WLS, just need to concretely make up my mind. Thanks for any input in advance.
shoutjoy
on 1/13/09 8:29 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

Who knows what triggers negative responses.  The health care system is not logical regardless of where you live or what kind of insurance you have.  Don't assume the worse but appeal if you can.  Sometimes you have to fight for what you want.  Don't give up!

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 885 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1217 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2034 views