Removing Band & Getting MGB!

nurseredhead
on 2/10/12 10:34 pm - Joplin, MO
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/01/12
March 1, 2012 I am having my lapband removed and having the MGB done. I gave the band 3 years without success. Anyone know how to change my status on my profile surgery type from lapband to MGB?

I can not change yesterday, but I can change tomorrow starting today!!    

shoutjoy
on 2/11/12 8:51 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I think you have to go to your profile and change it there.  Sorry the band failed but happy you decided on the MGB.  Keep us posted on how it goes.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Sandy S.
on 4/20/12 2:50 am - Skokie, IL
When you say fail, were there a lot of side effects or it just didn't work for you (or as much as you had hoped for?)?  I have just decided that LB was the way to go for me and now I am reading a lot of negative comments from people who have had it but had issues, had it removed and went for GB or some other type of WLS.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
nurseredhead
on 4/20/12 4:24 am - Joplin, MO
The reason it didn't work for me was because you can eat around it. You still have hunger, your stomach is still normal size. And the pouch that is made above the band can stretch out. I found that all the labpband did was cause me to slow down when eating. I only lost weight while I was on the liquid diet after getting the band. I only lost about 18 pounds in the beginning. Now that I have had the Mini Gastric Bypass I have lost almost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I can not eat around it. When you are full, that's it! I am not as hungry and I also do not absorb ALL of the calories and fat. What I liked about the MGB is that it can be reversed or revised should there be any complications. And Dr. Hargroder of Joplin, MO educates you and quizzes you to make sure you completely understand the procedure. He follows up with his patients at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, and then every year after that. He gives you his cell phone number to call him at any time. I feel great!
My blood sugars are down from 385 to 121 without medication! I hope this helps you.
Sandy S.
on 4/20/12 5:14 am - Skokie, IL
Yes ma'am!!!  Thank you so much!  I am actually deployed in Afghanistan and am coming home for about 3 weeks...is it crazy to imagine that I can do the surgery and be ok to fly back to Afghan (I'm a civilian,not military)?  I've done all the prep work seminars, etc., and would love to get it done and hopefully lose some weight while I finish my tour here.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/21/12 1:01 am
Sandy, the Lapband is a very difficult tool, but it does work for some of us! It saved my life and 4 years later it is still working! No complications ever!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Sandy S.
on 4/21/12 7:27 am - Skokie, IL
Your weight loss is amazing!  You must be so proud of yourself!   Thank you for the advice.  I will definitely have to re-think things...I liked the LapBand for its reversibility, at the same time, I want something permanent.  I've been yo-yo dieting for years, 5-10 pounds here and there, just to regain...you know the story.  I finally lost 65 lbs with diet and exercies two years ago and have regained 40 lbs, which is worse than being at my heaviest (278).  I feel at this point, my only option for long-term weight loss is to do WLS.  I appreciate your input and good luck losing those last 28 lbs!  You are truly and inspiration!

kellogal
on 4/26/12 11:57 am
Thanks nurseredhead -- Your note helped me a lot. I have had the band for 3-1/2 years and you are so right -- you can eat around it.  I am hoping to get the band removed and have the GB or MGB, whichever is right for me. Problem is my BMI is 34 and the doctors want it to be 35 or more. What should I do? Gain weight intentionally? That seems so self-destructive! Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!
nurseredhead
on 4/27/12 10:32 am - Joplin, MO
Even though your BMI is only 34, do you have any other morbidities like Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol? These are usually taken into account also and not just BMI. I would think that they would also take into account how much weight you have gained maybe over the last year and figure you may gain that much more over the following year. Let me know what you find out.

I can not change yesterday, but I can change tomorrow starting today!!    

kellogal
on 4/28/12 1:52 am
Thanks very much nurseredhead. I will try to stress that in my appeal letter. The MGB sounds like the way to go. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you again.  :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 898 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1230 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2048 views