I am a Statistic!

Mini Gadget
on 1/2/06 6:26 pm - MN
I used to be the one that pushed this surgery. I am now a statistic that it has failed on. I am not going to go into the long details, but if you would like info please email me. With all I have now learned, all I can say is think twice before considering the mini-bypass. Bridget
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/06 7:26 pm - Canada
Hi Bridget... I sent you a private email yesterday, and today was able to come on and read your profile and history. I am so sorry to hear that you've had so many problems with your surgery. Are you going to have to have a revision to correct the problems??? I do hope things go well for you... hugs Kim
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/06 7:29 pm - Canada
sorry... I can't seem to get more than one thought out at a time lately.... I see your surgeon is not with CLOS who performs the MGB, can you describe your surgery to me? I'm wondering if it is the same surgery as they perform at www.clos.net? hugs Kim
Mini Gadget
on 1/5/06 9:42 pm - MN
My surgeon was trained by Dr. Rutledge. It is the exact same surgery that they do at clos.net. To make a very long story short, a year and a hal*****hey diagnosed that I had an ulcer. It was not in my pouch, it was near the area where they attached the intestines to the pouch. They treated it for a couple of months and then assumed it was healed. I continued to be in severe pain, but they insisted it was not this ulcer. They told me it was only the size of my pinky fingernail and nothing to worry about. Well in November I was rushed to the ER because the ulcer perforated and started leaking into my abdomen. According to the doctors at Mayo, the ulcer was not properly treated and monitored, and was a direct result of the bypass. In their exact words, "a mini bypass is no good. It is like sewing a piece of steak to a piece of hamburger, it will not hold up." So they are now reffering me to one of their gastro doctors to decide what needs to be done. The surgeon believes I will either have to have my mini converted to a full RNY, or have it broke down and restored as close to normal as possible. I was in the hospital for three weeks due to this, and have been told that if I have to have more surgery, it will be an even longer recovery due to the tissue damage that has been done, and will possibly loose my spleen. I had a feeding tube in for 6 weeks because I could not eat anything by mouth do to trying to get the ulcer to heal. They removed the feeding tube, but I have been told that if I cannot gain weight by my next check up in a month, they will have to look at putting it back in. (I am now underweight, due to all this) I hope this answers your questions, if not please feel free to contact me. Bridget
CuteDonna
on 1/9/06 2:53 am - Effort, PA
I read your profile and I was saddened by what you have been through. I hope you do get well soon and the pain goes away. Hugs Donna 338/159
Laurie LOVES her DS
on 1/24/06 2:30 pm - Southern, CA
Bridget, I am so sorry to hear you are having complications. Have you considered consulting with a Duodenal Switch (DS) surgeon to see if you could be revised to a DS? Because the DS preserves the use of the pyloric valve there is no stoma with the DS, there is no risk of ulcers... This may possibly be the answer you are looking for. You might want to go to www.duodenalswitch.com and look for an experienced DS surgeon in your area. Take care. Laurie in So Calif.
Jane C.
on 9/22/06 12:49 pm - NY
Bridget, That sounds like quite the ordeal! wishing you the best of luck. I also know that there can be serious problems with all the surgeries, no? Jane
hfa1407
on 5/20/07 3:03 am
Bridget:  I would love to know how everthing is turning out for you.  I am trying to decide between lap band and mgb and it seems that there are pros and cons on both sides.  I don't understand the attaching steak to hamburger comment.  Have you had contact with others who are unhappy with the MGB results?  I would love to hear as much about your experience as you are willing to share.  I live in Seattle and would have to travel to Las Vegas to have it done, lap band of course can be done right here.  My email is [email protected].  Hope to hear from you.
shoutjoy
on 1/25/06 9:51 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi, Sorry you had such a hard time. Every surgery has their possible risks and complications. I am sorry you had to be in that group. I am almost six years out and have had no complications and I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I don't promote any specific surgery. I just ask the potential wls patient to research all the options and pick the one they feel they could live with and trust. I think that is the best advice I give. huuugzzzz Paula
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/06 5:49 pm - Canada
Hello again Bridget... I spoke to Dr. Rutledge who spoke very highly of your surgeon. I am so sorry that you've had to experience all that you have. I worry sometimes that I may be a complication one day. I'm already on my second treatment for H Pylori in 5 months and I really hope this clears it up. I am so happy with my weight loss, that I can imagine having the surgery revised... I would be so afraid of weight-gain. Enough about my worries.... take care Bridget and let us know how you make our with your treatment... hugs Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 899 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1231 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2049 views