Never Heard of this procedure- details please

NeedHelp
on 2/11/06 11:06 am - Rockford, IL
I have never heard of this procedure please give me lots of details and info? How is it done? Where? How can it be reversed?etc.
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/06 12:04 am - Canada
Hi Kimberly I had my MGB on August 18, 2005 and as of today I'm down 82 pounds and feeling great. I'm going to give you a few links that you can read more about the MGB. If you have any other questions please contact me at [email protected]... hugs Kim http://www.clos.net/lib/roux-en-y/mgb_vs_rny.htm http://www.clos.net/ There has been a lot of controversy about this surgery and the risk of bile reflux... since it is similar to the old loop bypass. However, since we have a long vertical pouch this provides a kind of distance barrier for bile... and it has not been a problems for MGBers andy more than RNYers.
WindFem3
on 4/6/06 12:58 pm - Springfield, MO
Hi there! I'm almost 5 months out from my MGB (Joplin, MO.), and down 66 pounds. I've had no complications and only two bad nights since surgery. I'm off all meds and treatments except BP stuff, but that's okay: I still weigh quite a bit! I anticipate getting off that one of these days. It's hard to describe how much better life is post-op. Everything is better - EVERYTHING. I don't have daily pain anymore, I can go-go-go all day long without feeling completely enervated, I now sleep like a normal person (no more apnea!), my mind is clearer and sharper, my general outlook more optimistic, my relationships better, and I'm not treated by strangers with that sort of amorphous contempt reserved only for the morbidly obese. I was never all that athletic, but I did enjoy being physical. Now I take long, vigorous walks and enjoy them so much. I can actually MOVE again! Losing this weight is like being let out of prison. Like many others, I'll have some plastic surgery when my weight loss is done. I'll need a tummy tuck to get rid of that apron of excess flappy skin (I do get rashes), my sad breasts will get hoisted back into place, and I MIGHT have those weird pockets of fat sucked out of my inner thighs. I don't need to look great or gorgeous, but neither do I want to wear a loose coat of stretched out skin either. My experience with CLOS, Dr. Hargroder, and St. John's (Joplin) was fantastic. The only bad spot in the entire journey was participating in the Yahoo group. I got REALLY fed up with the bullying, pressure to be one of the clique, and unrelenting juvenile lingo ("my dance with Dr. So-and-So . . . " UGH.) I quit the group altogether about 1 month post-op, and it was a such a relief! I figured if I needed actual MGB information, I could just contact my surgeon or the clinic - which I have done once or twice. We self-paid for the surgery, and don't regret it at all. For the benefits of this surgery (now that I know for myself), we would have paid twice as much. The price of good health and a better quality of life can't be underestimated, in my opinion. I would recommend the MGB to anyone considering bariatric surgery.
stylin_68025
on 9/30/06 10:21 am - Fremont, Ne
Hi, I was just reading your post about MGB. I went to Mexico to get a lapband and I could'nt have one because of my anotomy. My major veins were too close to my stomach which is on the wrong side and the band could rub them and rupture them so he didn't place it. I have to do something and I was looking into the MGB but the doctor I went to in Mexico said that it isn't reversable and so is it really reversible if need be? I think this Doctor is very knowledgeable but I asked his rep. to send him the link and see what he thinks. If it is reversable I want to find a good surgeon in Mexico cuz I can't afford it here in the US. Do you mind telling me how much it costs here in the US? Thanks, Jennifer B.
shoutjoy
on 2/16/06 10:30 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi, I am almost six years out. It is a great tool with good success within the first couple years. But like all other procedures, it is a tool to lose weight. I chose this because it requires a very short hospital stay, quick recovery and if necessary, can be revised or reversed. The links you where given is a great place to check it out. Paula
IowaHouseFlipper
on 3/24/06 8:36 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
Hey Paula, You probably don't remember me but I wrote to you years back about your MGB. Now I'm nearly 5 years post op and I just wanted to tell you that I'm doing wonderful and I have no regrets with having this surgery. I've been crazy on the PS trail though. I started it at about 11 months post-wls, lol.....and my last event (revisions) was in November. To date I've had well over 34 proceedures done and 4 trips abroad and I'm lovin life! LOL Anyway, glad to have found this board. I had tried posting on closnet's group but they don't want to allow people to tell about other doctors doing things cheaper, etc. Anyone here thinking about Brazil.....feel free to write me and I can help. By the way, TT's there are only $1,600. Yeah, I'm serious. The full LBL/Beltlipectomy is like....$3,800 (or somethin like that). I know this stuff is pretty scarey to go out of USA but for me, it was my only choice. But I'm pleased and I hope to go back this year for Butt Implants (maybe, lost my ass, ROFL...literally). Take Care you all, Peggy
shoutjoy
on 3/24/06 9:45 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi, Yea the clos group are rather clickish. I know that isn't the right spelling. That is why I love OH so much. Everyone is accepted. I thought about PS, but I have other financial priorities right now. Maybe some day. I would like to get a mini TT, thigh lift and a boob job. All three of those areas bother me the most. The saggy butt is next lol. Brazil huh? Most of the clos folks go to Costa Rica. I know when the hot weather comes, I will wish I had gotten things done. I hate wearing bras, rubbing thighs and you know. I don't think I would be as extreme as you are. I just want to get rid of these irritations. Do you have pics? Would love to see them. Oh, if you are still on the clos boards, tell everyone I said hi and I am doing awesome. teehee Great to hear from you! Paula
IowaHouseFlipper
on 3/25/06 8:53 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
I think most people go to Costa Rica for many reasons but mainly because more people knew about Costa Rica long before Brazil, flights are less expensive ($500 vs $800) and flights aren't as long (5 hours or so vs 8 hours, I think!, (guessing)). I do have pics, in fact, I wish I knew how to get one up on here like you all got. Write me privately ([email protected]) and I'll be happy to share if you want. Peggy
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 898 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1230 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2047 views