800 calories realistic for Non Surgery weight loss??????

Maxine1234
on 8/23/13 8:19 am

Would it be realistic for someone who hasn't had WLS to eat the same amount of protein and calories as someone who has had WLS?

albeit very difficult because of appetite, would it be possible? Could you see the same results?

Curious if anyone has tried it. ( we all have "things" we have tried to lose weight")

Supergirl7877
on 8/25/13 3:06 pm
Anything is possible...however not everything is sustainable. I don't think I could maintain 800 calories for very long.

For appetite I can offer, turn to lots and lots of veggies....that is about the only way you will get to feel full on 800 a day. When I need to stress eat I turn to spinach, broccoli, lettuce....
Supergirl7877
on 8/28/13 5:16 am
I don't know if you are looking at this or not. But I thought I would post for others. One "trick" I have used is volumetrics....check it out.
Maxine1234
on 10/1/13 12:16 am
Ok. I will. Thanks.
I don't think im going to persue surgery, so here goes non-surgical weight loss.

MsHomeJames
on 10/2/13 4:12 pm - Canada

Hi Maxine

I'm afraid that eating as little as 800 calories per day will put your body in starvation mode leading to a slower metabolism.  If this occurs you'll be sabotaging your efforts to lose weight.  The other thing about it is ensuring you're getting sufficient nutrients.  This requires ongoing monitoring by a physician (with appropriate lab work.)  WLS patients take many, many vitamins and supplements given their limited intake.

I, personally, have been working on weight loss since May, 2012 by adjusting my eating habits (using My Fitness Pal) and exercise (moderate speed walking x 6 days/ week).  It's been a much slower process but I'm seeing results similar to WLS patients.  I'm still working at losing another fifteen pounds but losing more than ninety-five pounds is pretty good.  I believe, too, that losing the weight at a slower pace has resulted in fewer issues which seem frequent for those who have had WLS.  I've not had any hernia issues or gallbladder problems.  I'd like to think, also, that my excess skin is less than it might have been otherwise. 

I must acknowledge that I would have liked/preferred the weight to have come off more quickly but doing things this way has become habit forming.  As I look forward I can anticipate the day when I will strive for maintenance which will be a whole new learning experience for me.  Determining my required caloric intake to maintain could prove to be a bit of a hit and miss sort of thing so I'll need to monitor my weight closely until I've worked it out.  I will, though, get to eat more than I'm eating now which after this long will in itself be a treat.  One thing is for sure and that is I will continue to journal my food.

All the best of luck to you as you begin your own personal journey!  I wish you only the best!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 335 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 461 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 671 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 881 views