Hello from Canada

Carchick28
on 12/21/14 3:36 am - Canada

I wanted to stop by and say hello.  I have been considering WLS and recently discovered that here in Canada they offer a Medical program which provides the counseling and dietician minus the surgery.  It is a 12 week program with the option of a 12 week addition using the Optifast.  Is there anyone here that has done that program and what your thoughts are on it.  I go for my information session in January, but wondered what others think. 

kayceemarie
on 12/23/14 7:35 am

That sounds very interesting! Please add me and let me know how it goes. 

Not to discourage you, but for me I just feel hopeless like nothing works. That's why if it does, I would be very interested in finding out more about it.

ptrumph
on 1/16/15 3:32 pm - Vancouver, BC, Canada

Do you have to pay forit?

Carchick28
on 2/3/15 8:53 am - Canada

No you don't have to pay for it.  It is covered by OHIP. 

Unicopia
on 2/9/15 11:42 am

There is some cost involved. You pay for the Optifast shakes from what I am told. This was something that the social worker mentioned during our consult. In my mind you are off setting the cost of groceries, so it's basically a wash. 

How did your consult go? How much weight are you looking to loose? I am 5'9", 250lb, 37 BMI and would like to try the medical weight loss route before going to surgery. Although I am feeling a lot of pressure from the professionals I have met thus far to have the RNY surgery. 

I'm having a hard time making the decision. 

Best of luck!

Carchick28
on 2/9/15 10:16 pm - Canada

I went for the orientation and have seen the Nurse Practitioner for my initial appointment.  I have not actually started the program yet but will be shortly.  Have some initial appointments to get through.    I have done many many hours of debating which route to go.  Ultimately I will do surgery if I am not successful in doing this on my own.  I figure I need to at least try hard one more time.  I had already started doing my own thing since the beginning of the year and have been doing okay with that so I am hoping that this program will help me push along further.   You are correct that if you do the Opti part of the program you have to pay for that out of your pocket.  I am going to do the Lifestyle program which is 12 weeks.  I figure 12 weeks is reasonable to see if I can do this on my own.  I know how to eat right etc what I am looking for is more the mental aspects of this issue which I find you don't really get at a commercial program, at least not enough for me.   My BMI is 47, I am 5" 5' and 284 pounds.    I have been doing some hard and fast thinking on this and figure I can wait a little bit longer so I can ensure that I am making the right decision.  Surgery is a big step and I want to be sure first.    I will keep you posted as to how this works but nothing is going to hurt to at least sign up for the information session and see if it is for you or not.  You can always say no.  I specifically asked them if after doing this program and decide I still want surgery can I still do it and they said yes that is always an option.  Good Luck. 

Tankienoodle
on 6/2/15 10:32 am - Canada

Hi Im starting the Optifast in Guelph on July 9th! Waited 1.5 years and would like to lose 65 to 70lbs. So far the resourse group is great. Nurse, nutritionist and social worker. Advise me not to concentrate on a number but to get to a point where my body "works" best! i have high blood pressure and diabetes and am desperate for a change!!

LettingLayneyLoose
on 11/17/15 5:54 pm

Hi.  I'm starting the Optifast program in Guelph shortly and have my orientation is this week.  How is the program working for you?  What is the timeline like from Orientation to actually starting the program?

Plus-size
on 9/3/15 10:06 am

Can you tell us what this is called?  Do you need a referral from your doctor?  I went to the orientation session for the surgery and it scared be completely.  But this seems like a great option.  Thank you!!

Carchick28
on 9/3/15 10:34 am - Canada

They called it the Medical Program.  Not sure where you are located and I am not sure if all areas offer this program but the one I did is out of Humber.  I was in the same boat as you after the orientation.  All I did was after my orientation for surgery, I went and asked them to sign me up for the medical program orientation.  There are two options with that program and they will tell you all about it at the orientation and then you can decide if that is what you want etc.  Just like the other orientation.  I believe that your current referral to the surgical will allow you to go to the medical if you want.  Call the office and speak to them.  I did not need a second referral.  The program was good but I did not chose the opti program but afterwards I wished I had done that.  Get yourself on their next orientation then make an informed decision that is best for you. I hope that helps. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 335 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 461 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 671 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 880 views