4 Years Out and need advice on nutrition

Soldierswife44
on 2/8/12 12:08 pm - Ft Eustis, VA
Hello everyone,
I had RNY surgery in March of 2008. I have had a wonderful and successful journey but am now in need of advice I never imagined I would need!
I had two children after my surgery and now have a total of four. I run myself CRAZY all day everyday! I never sit down and I never sit still, even when Im eating Im moving up and down from the table always at work esp since my two youngest are less than a year apart.
I am smaller now then I was prior to the babies. My heaviest was 280, I got down to 118 and then platued around 128 at about a year out. I had two children back to back who drained my body of nutrition and I have always had an issue absorbing iron amoungst all else. I am now around 120 but my body looks unhealthy. My shouldars are boney and sunken in, from the side my breasts have completly flattened and my shouldar blades poke out of the back of my profile. My arms are so tiny and Im very self concious of how tiny my upper body is.
 Im wondering if there are any referrals for a good protien or vitamin suplement to help me put on HEALTHY weight? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
The journey of a thousand mile's, start's with just ONE step!

MsApryl
on 2/9/12 5:52 am - Pocono summit, PA
First of all congratulations on all that you accoplished!. Having two babies and keeping the weight off is great but you do need to take care of yourself. I did not go down that far in weight by I had the same symptoms. Bones and the look of a very sickly person. I started to go to a gym and exercise drink two protien shakes a day and put muscle on my body. You sound like you are in constant motion I understand I am a preschool teacher of 15 with special needs. I suggest you look for some time to go to a gym and try some resistant training. when you put muscle on you will feel stronger and healthier. The old idea that bulking up will make you look like a man is false. the he women you see in the media are all on steriods. Just by having estrogen you can never get that big naturally. there is a web site called Bodybuilding.com which has great plans for beginners. Also oxgen magazine has good advice and plans for you.  As for time for yourself with four children you have to make some time to do this. 45 minutes is a good figure to try start small 15min in the morning before your world wakes up and work from there. If you have small weights at home you can work in. You have to build up strengh to be the support for everyone else.
Good luck
  Happines is not a birthright.You make your own happiness through your attitude and the way you behave.Happiness is a choice. It takes daily practice to make it a habbit.
ddoucette
on 2/20/12 10:14 am - CA
Hi Soldierswife44,

My husband and I had RNY two years ago this month and each lost approximately 100lbs. But I also lost a lot of muscle tissue- to the point that I could not squat down and get back up. (I could easily do it before my surgery).

So protein intake is an issue for me too. I have learned that most protein shakes/powders do not have all 22 amino acids. People like us with mal-absorption need all 22 at the same time. So I searched out the most complete, purest protein shake drink and found it with a company called GNLD.

My husband and me also had our lab results begin to drop (esp. calcium, B 12 and vitamin D). We have been taking vitamins and supplements from GNLD for the last 3 months and have had our lab results return to normal! We also have more consistent energy.

I searched for GNLD products on this web site and did not find any results for it.

If you want to read more about their products you can go to their web site of GNLD.com.

I have had such great results I became a distributor in order to save between 25-30% on the products for my husband and me.

Hope this helps and good luck to you,

Denise
kmacnab
on 3/5/12 12:43 pm - IL
Glad you are seeking advice about this.  We all should be concerned with our nutrition and as busy moms, we tend to neglect ourselves.  I have been taking the #1 nutrition vitamin supplement and never miss a out on a day or else I feel  very tired and lethargic.  I also use their protein shake which helps burn fat and build lean muscle.  Muscle is heavier than fat....a friend just put on almost 20 pounds of pure, lean muscle and looks incredible!  I am happy to share with you and another thing, I have not been sick either. 

We busy moms tend to neglect our health and nutrition, i don't do that any more as my kids need me. The protein shake is made with a tri-sorb blend of plant protein, has 26 vitamins and minerals, prebiotics and fiber!  It's awesome for so many reasons.  I'd be happy to share with you!  Congrats on wanting to get your health back! 

Karen

P.S. I was just like you in my early 20's...much healthier now!  Good luck dear!
Most Active