suRVIVING ON 800 CALORIES

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 5/6/12 6:01 am

How do other post op's do the 800 calorie diet I am so hungry I am gagging, have a headache and heartburn. I am just getting back to doing what I am suppose to be doing...fell off the wagon gained 40# and now need to get it off asap!!! Am walking to work out for now since I dont have a car to get to the gym and I have pryed my fat butt off the couch and am doing lots around the house to stay out of couch potatoe wine induced coma but I just need to know how to get thru this first few weeks (?) of the super low calorie diet.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/7/12 7:51 am
ouch.. 800 cal.   How do you get though it - I am not sure. I think with moderate exercise e- 1000 cal will be more realistic goal.  And much safer.

I would do a couple of options, but will also do calorie cycling. Do a few days 8-0 cal followed by a day on 1000, and then a day of 1200, with average 1000 cal per day per week.  
1.e: 1000- 800-1200-1000-800-1200 -1000. With days on 800 are days when you do not do much exercise.

example:
1 Coffee + 100 cal protein shake (make protein coffee) - 100 cal 100
2 3 low fat cheese sticks, cucumber slices = 150 cal 150
3 Lunch: large green salad (lettuce, celery, peppers, cucumbers) + 1tsp oils and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice + lean chicken or tuna = 200 cal. 200
4 snack: 1 protein bar = 150 cal 150
5 dinner: low carb veggies + lean meats. = 200 cal 200

additional snacks:
nuts; serving 100 cal
yogurt with protein and fruits: 150 cal
1/2 flatout wrap with 2 slices of low fat cheese
1 TBs of PB

and so on.

Non starchy veggies have so little calories that they practically do not count. i.e. lettuce, cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, green and red peppers (specially if you eat them raw)
Now tomatoes and starchy veggies (i.e. carrots ) that is totally different story,.

I do eat some natural pickled cucumbers, (no sugar or preservative added) or cucumbers, and so on. 

Lots  of water and tea. Even flavored.  Get hungry> drink 8-16 oz of water,  Wait - then eat. eat on a clock. Can be done. at lest for a while.

I do that - then "save" some calories - and can have a nice dinner on Saturday or Sunday. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/12 2:40 am
BTW: check "metabolic damage" about low carb - low calories diet and the effects on our body and metabolism...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stevia
on 5/10/12 2:23 am - OR
I heard you need to drink a lot of water on low carb. Is that try?
Sabina B.
on 7/18/12 1:07 am - MD
 Why are you eating so little?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/12 4:23 pm - OH
 As the others have said, that is a VERY small amount of calories and is very hard on your body.   The headache is likely your body's way of telling you that you are not eating enough. What are you currently eating?  (I am wondering what is giving you the heartburn.)

It will be difficult to get in all of your protein unless you eat almost nothing but protein, but that is better anyway because probably the way to make it the most bearable is to eat almost exclusively dense proteins which will keep you feeling full for the longest period of time.   More calories would be better, though, even when you are trying to lose some of the regained weight. Your metabolism may latch be messed up from your past dieting and from the months of so few calories after your RNY, so the last thing you want to do is cause it to drop even further by eating much too little now.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

abrown8434
on 12/23/12 11:09 am - VA

For me the choices of what you are eating (low carb, high protein) are much harder than 600 to 800 calories. I have noticed after year out, I am now hungry as well. The hard part is using that hunger to schedule in low carb veggies and high protein snacks and meals versus adding back the carbs and going over 40 to 50 grams of carbs a day.

I work out regularly so if I have days where my calorie**** 1,000 or 1,200 I don't freak out about it. However, I noticed that there are very few days that my calories go above 800 calories when I pick things that are low carb, high protein.

The further I get out it seems to be damned if you don't, damned if you do. It is so easy for you to gain weight even though you are not stuffing your face with junk or eating a whole lot of carbs. It may be a cookie here or a few chips here and the pounds add up fast! For those that say this is the easy way out, they have obviously not had WLS!!!!

Best of luck to you,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Most Active