Proteins alternatives (think anti-whey)

RizingPheonix
on 12/18/14 8:52 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

I've been looking for suggestions and options since it appears I'm sensitive to whey based proteins. How's that for an unlucky draw? I researched egg proteins and have my first container headed to me (amazon had the best prices) and hopefully this will ease my abdominal discomfort. Its frustrating!!! Along with the ridiculous fatigue, I could really use a good day!!! just fyi, I take my iron, b12, calcium and multivitamin religiously. I saw my surgeon today to remove the staples and he advised me they don't know why some patients suffer from severe fatigue post operative, they just do. It can take weeks to shake but he's confident that it will simply end one day soon and I'll be unstoppable. 

I was worried about not getting enough protein or caloric intake, anemic, maybe even dehydration but as far as all of those goes, I'm right on course. Its just an idiopathic fatigue that really has no answer, just gotta ride it thru. So, I'm loading up my mp3 because the moment I can, walking is my best friend!!!

So, any protein options other than whey/milk based?

Gwen M.
on 12/19/14 8:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Aside from egg protein, there's also hemp and pea protein that might be worth checking out.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rlav
on 12/20/14 12:56 am

soy/tofu is high in protein

mrshorror
on 1/3/15 9:06 am

I had the same problem with fatigue. I didn't think I would ever not be chronically tired feeling. 

Early on I used silken tofu in smoothies to avoid whey. I also made a lot of blended soups thickened with pureed chickpeas and white beans. If you're still having some post-surgery gas, the beans might not be the best thing, but the chickpeas should be ok. 

Most Active