NEED SUGGESTIONS

psren13
on 4/9/15 10:50 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Finally bm today (been 4/5 days) so feeling a little less bloated. (I know TMI) I'm keeping carbs down to 40, barely meeting 60 of protein, and at least 45 to 60 of water which I know is not enough.  Weight is not going too far right now.   Food seems to be staying in my stomach an awful long time.  I get the full feeling and it lasts and lasts.  I cannot eat for at least 6 hours and drinking is tough.  Having a problem with trying to cook for me and Elizabeth, my 10 year old granddaughter that lives with me. Her mom is here usually on weekends only.  I need to cook nutritious meals for her and something that I can eat also without having much leftovers.  Don't have much freezer space for leftovers.  Need to start shopping differently I guess.  Any suggestions?  I know there are a lot of you single people out there who have had the problem of cooking nutritiously for one so what did/have you done?  

Tammy H.
on 4/10/15 4:57 pm - Greenville, OH

I cook for myself and my 36 year old son...I try to fix simple easy meals, that are healthy but yet yummy...I focus a lot on buying fresh veggies and fruits each week because I too am limited on freezer space...I like to fix meals in Foil, making a pouch...Lay out a sheet of foil...I spray it lightly with canola spray...I  put skinless piece of chicken tenderloin strip, a small chunk of potato, cauliflower, baby carrots, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, along with some salt, pepper, or Mrs Dash...Lay another sheet of foil on top and fold up the edges...Lay on a baking sheet and bake at 350 until done...I have used other meats besides the chicken such as fish, turkey sausage...I have used turkey ham chunks, along with onions, cabbage, and green peppers...

If you have a crock pot you might try fixing meals in that...I have googled healthy crock pot recipes and came up with many recipes...Sometimes I revamp them to meet my liking.

I use 1/2 pound of ground chuck and make a meatloaf out of it...Its plenty just for the two of us...I add potatoes, carrots, celery around it...One thing that helps is that I shop at Krogers and will ask the meat cutter for 1/2 pound packs instead of buying larger packs off the shelf.

I like to wrap turkey luncheon meat , along with cucumbers, few slices of radish or red/orange peppers into lettuce leaves...makes for a quick, healthy meal...Serve with apple wedges, and/ or a Cutie/orange.

Another suggestion is to make homemade vegetable soup using fresh veggies...it last for several days in the fridge, and is good left over...I hope this helps...Tammy

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

damea5
on 4/21/15 12:55 am

I am 8 years out of surgery and maintained 80lbs loss I have changed my diet entirely.  I try to eat whole foods and cook my own meals my husband is a truck driver and  kids are grown.  I found cooking more then one meal at a time helps me to save time and it helps me to get my protein in if it is easy to grab and I dont have to stop and cook every night.  I cook about twice a week and eat out of fridge all week.  I hope this helps

Jamie L.
on 4/24/15 4:57 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

You may want to look at how much you chew when eating.  The more you chew the better things will do in your tummy.  I am 10 months out and I still have trouble with potatoes, rice and pasta if they are not cooked very well and MOIST. I also seem to do better with things made with ground beef instead of slices or shredded beef. Try looking for things you can "make over" for a second (or even third) meal.  I can take a baked whole chicken and make it into four different meals. Eat just the chicken the first night (with vegies or other small side dishes) the bone all the meat and divide it into ziplock bags or small storage containers. Chicken salad, stir fry, chicken tacos, chicken-a-la-king etc. for the next few nights.

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

Most Active