Recovery timeframe

Celow22
on 6/16/15 7:36 pm

I am looking into GBS and was wondering what the recovery timeframe was. Is it 2 weeks like with other robot surgeries?  Is it longer because of the fatigue associated with the rapid weight loss?  What has been your experience?  I have to do 12 months of MD supervised diet and exercise before surgery and just started so I won't be having surgery for at least a year. I'm just curious how much time off I should build up.

Thanks so much for the input!

Celow22

killinmesmalls77
on 6/17/15 11:53 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I had my surgery on a Thursday and went home on Saturday. I took one official week off of work and then started working from home the next week. I went back into the office on week 3 (I have a desk job).  When I was home that first week, I made sure that I was active and moving around. I think I took two naps that whole week and was off pain meds by day 5 after surgery.  I took short walks (10 min) at least 3 times a day and built up to 2 longer walks (25-30 min) by the second week. 

I was completely happy with my week off. Looking back, I probably could have started working from home Thurs & Fri of that first week because I was physically up for it, but I wanted to finish some knitting projects and some good books. :) 

If you have a job where you are really active and have to do a lot of bending or are on your feet a lot two weeks might be better.  So you can work up to being active for a full day. I've heard that when some people go back to work they start with half-days and ease back into the swing of things. 

Best of luck on your journey! 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

Cha_Cha_11
on 6/17/15 1:50 pm

I had my surgery 6/5 and was home by mid-day 6/6.  I was off of pain meds within 2 days.  I think the key for me was getting up and walking several times the day of my surgery.  It helped move all of the gases out of my body and increased the circulation to aid in the healing.  I'm still home from work, but feeling pretty good.  Just trying to get in good habits and learn how to live with my new pouch.  I plan to go back to work next week so will have taken off 2 weeks for the surgery.

Good luck!

HW: 285  SW: 282  CW: 242  LRNY: 06/05/2015

Most Active