8 yrs post op- alof of stomach problems

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 6:24 am

10 months ago I started having constant diarrhoea no matter what I ate! For gastro doctors later and I was diagnosed w ulcerative colitis and then it was confirmed I did not have this. My mom is convinced it's all diet, meaning that I'm now lactose intolerant, possibly gluten intolerant and that both coffee and wine are also causing this. She's probably right but I'm wondering if anyone else several years post op suddenly has developed food sensitivities.help! I can't live this way.thank you!

Nancy
on 7/27/15 12:51 pm - Kasson, MN

There are a lot of things I can no longer eat!  You just have to find things that you an tolerate.  I am over 10 years out!  I eat a lot of cheese, pizza, quesadas,  yogurt, and rice.  Vegetables I just eat plain with no added stuff.  I can not tolerate dairy, but can have alittle half and half in my coffee.  I also stop eating the minute I feel alittle full.  I eat little stuff all day long to help keep my system regular..

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 4:29 pm

Thank you Nancy. How about wine? Coffee? I think these two beverages have worn out their welcome !

Nancy
on 7/27/15 5:06 pm - Kasson, MN

I would just try stay to more natural stuff!

MaronitaMay
on 7/27/15 4:58 pm, edited 7/27/15 4:59 pm

First off, I'd like to point out that those of us who have had WLS are not supposed to have any form of liquor.  I was told after surgery that I could eat bread if TOASTED, however, my stomach is unable to handle toast.  My stomach is also unable to handle eggs and most red meats.  I am ALMOST a complete vegetarian.  I do, however, eat chicken and turkey.  

Bethprgirl
on 7/28/15 6:15 am

Problem is i was never told "not to eat" certain foods. I clearly learnt by trial and error. But I have been o****il recently

thanks for responding 

DanaDenise
on 8/1/15 8:50 pm

I had a list of items to avoid and in caffeine and alcohol were both on that list because of ulcers. Sweets and fried foods were a definite no-no.  I was told that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 7 grams of sugar per serving.  I must say that I don't crave sweets and I had a sweet tooth.  I have been good about the sweets, but I worry about my will power around the holidays!  I was also told that some people are not able to tolerate dairy or red meat.  I was told no soft breads or pasta, but toast/crackers are OK.  I can send you the list I received from my doctor.  I haven't tried pasta, but I can't imagine a life without pasta.  My surgery was just the end of May.  On the other hand, I do no want to try it for fear that I won't be able to stop!  I believe the bread and pasta will ball up and have trouble getting in and out of the pouch. I'm surprised you didn't have a restricted food list.  I guess that there is more knowledge about this now...thanks to people like you did it 10 years ago!  I appreciate that you led the way!

siberiancat
on 8/5/15 12:02 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Since RNY 6 years ago I've become gluten intolerant and have reactive hypoglycemia.  So now I'm gluten free and also scary low blood sugars if I eat more than 9 grams of sugar/carb.

I don't necessarily like the added diet restrictions added to my already bariatric diet restrictions - but I can live with it.  It's a choice and I'm choosing to live within my restrictions.

I acknowledge that life isn't fair.  But I'm in my goal range and a healthy BMI.  I am so much healthier, have energy and can do so many things I couldn't do when I was morbidly obese.  I'm blessed.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active