Food Cravings

landy
on 1/30/17 7:36 am

Hello,

I'm pre-op for VSG.  So far, I've been eating well and not feeling any hunger or cravings....until yesterday. 

I haven't eaten an orange in probably 25 years, I just don't like them.  Yesterday, my husband and I were grocery shopping and I saw Navel oranges.  I had to buy one.  My husband looked at me like I had 2 heads.  I ate 1/2 the orange after dinner last night, the other half this morning.  Now I want more! 

Also, at about 10:30 last night, I was hungry, but I didn't want to go back to my old habits of eating a few pieces of bread with peanut butter on them.  I decided to not deprive myself of the PB and measured a tablespoon and ate it.  I felt much better after, and having the taste of PB was fantastic. 

Has anyone had these types of cravings Pre-Op, Post-Op, etc? 

Enjoy your day! 

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

DubfromBP
on 1/31/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 10/13/15

I stayed really strict the first six months.  It was very easy to do after the pre-op low carb diet for the months leading up to surgery, then the 14 day protein shake diet and the post op protein shake diet that I stuck with for 4 weeks.   It changed my relationship with food.  It sort of dropped off my radar, so to speak.   

After that I adopted an "all things in moderation" approach.  If I want something really bad....and the desire lasts for a couple days....then I'll have it.  I enjoy cooking and grilling so I'll have more control over ingredients.  

There was certainly a "honeymoon" period for me....and it was those first few months.  I'm very glad I stayed strict.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Brandi Girl
on 2/1/17 5:45 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

I agree to stay as strict to your plan as possible early out!! You are in the "honeymoon" period and you want to lose as much weight at this time as possible! Also, you should be "retraining" your brain about how you see food and cravings. This is your best time to get control over your hunger, weather it is true hunger or mental hunger. Trust me, it only gets harder to lose and slower as time goes by. Stay strong now! Best of luck!

daanielleey
on 2/6/17 7:56 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I'm about a week post op now and this is by far the most difficult thing I've had to endure. I had to do a 1 week liquid pre op diet and I swear if I didn't do that then I would actually be going insane. 

It's really hard to leave the house or watch people eating around me because I'm confined to broth and protein shakes. Trust me, stick to the diet as much as possible before and definitely try to wein yourself off of your daily habits. I was craving tortilla chips so bad yesterday I actually went in and licked the salt off of a couple. My mom scolded me a few times for that because it can actually form into an eating disorder.

By far the hardest thing for me is coffee, I had the WORST headaches giving it up pre op but I'm glad I did it before surgery or I would be miserable now.

Post op has been a struggle but I'm pushing through. Just cant wait to eat something solid 

Little tip: DON'****CH FOOD NETWORK WHILE RECOVERING (you'll thank me later) 

Good luck with surgery!

Most Active