New To This Site Vegan Considering Gastric Sleeve

NEWLIFEFREEDOM
on 2/11/17 2:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and I really don't know where to start/post.

I'm currently considering gastric sleeve self pay due to struggling for a decade to release the unwanted fat. I'm vegan and I love it (being vegan has helped me due to my dairy allergy). I've been a "yo yo dieter" for over 10 years my weight goes up and down constantly.

I want to finally get a grip on things for good (weight loss tool). I do excerise and eat healthy yet for some reason that seems to not be enough for my body type. I'm concerned that I could reach my former weight and I told my self that I would never want to be or allow myself to ever get that big again (over 280 almost 300).

So what I need help with is the whole stigma of Bartric Surgery people always assume "it's the easy way out" or that people who get it are lazy and somehow "cheated".

I also want to know about the potential pros and cons of being self pay as well as opinions concerning should I continue to strive towards my "natural weight loss journey" or if it's time for me to try something else (I'm currently 100lbs over weight).

Thanks

My New Life
on 2/11/17 3:31 pm

Hi,

Please understand that having Bariactric surgery is definately NOT the easy way out!! The 1st 6 months is "easier" only because you cannot eat much.  But with with the RNY or the VGS you still really have to work at it .  I am grateful i had the surgery but ive been slipping the last two years ( and gained back weight) because of listening to other people .  Please don't listen to other people.  If you were diabetic and neededinsulin woukd that be taking the easy way out?  I don't believe i would be alive today if not for the surgery....please find a good support group and lose the weight for YOU !!  YOU ARE...WORTH IT 

NEWLIFEFREEDOM
on 2/11/17 3:53 pm

Yea, I'm fully aware that it is definitely not the "easy way out" I just shared what I've heard many naysayers say.

I mentioned it because there are a lot of stigmas surrounding baratric surgery.

This decision is 100% my own choice I'm looking to change my life for the best.

Now for myself my confliction is due to trying to lose weight the tradition way and a decade later still being at square one. I have my doctors approval due to the fact that I'm in great health and a balanced diet (per my labs). The problem is the weight is still not coming off and I finally made the choice that maybe it's time to do something different. This surgery will be a lifelong tool yet on the flip side is surgery the best route to go because one is struggling with fat loss.?

Kathy S.
on 2/13/17 10:37 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

I just sent this to another member....  

More and more weight loss surgery members are asking about non meat alternatives.  Here is some research I did for you, I hope it helps.  

I did a search for you and here are some other members inquiring about vegetarian and vegan.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=vegetarian

I know there is a difference between vegetarian and vegan but thought you would find this interesting too.

To Be Vegan...or Not To Be Vegan

I am sending you some other information via PM (private message)

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

NEWLIFEFREEDOM
on 2/13/17 11:33 am

Thank you I will review the links. My greatest concern is docs and more who may try to discourage me from staying vegan in additionto being vegan with consumption restriction-if I get the sleeve.

Irishnana
on 3/2/17 9:29 am
RNY on 04/28/15

I would advise you to check out Dr. Garth Davis and his book Proteinaholic. He is a bariatric surgeon who found many of his bypass patients were coming back to him gaining weight. After much research he wrote this book and has become a vegan himself.

Most Active