How do I retrain my stomach to work the way it did post op?

cynthia1970
on 10/27/17 6:08 am

I had a RNY in 2000. I lost 110 lbs. Since then I've gained it all back, mainly over the past 10 years since having a back injury. Since then I've had back surgery, a knee replacement and 3 other surgeries. All have made exercise difficult. I'd love a revision as I'm sure some things have changed since I had mine so long ago. But, I would like to try to retrain my stomach to work the way it did before... if that makes since.. or is even possible.

Any advice? Thanks

hollykim
on 10/27/17 8:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 27, 2017 at 1:08 PM Pacific Time, cynthia1970 wrote:

I had a RNY in 2000. I lost 110 lbs. Since then I've gained it all back, mainly over the past 10 years since having a back injury. Since then I've had back surgery, a knee replacement and 3 other surgeries. All have made exercise difficult. I'd love a revision as I'm sure some things have changed since I had mine so long ago. But, I would like to try to retrain my stomach to work the way it did before... if that makes since.. or is even possible.

Any advice? Thanks

eat high protein low carb. Aim for 60-90 gas of protein a day and the least amount of carbs preferably less than 20 gas. Eat very limited non carb vegetables.

dronk a minimum of 64 oz of sugar free liquid a day. Take your vitamins.

What does a days menu look like for you now.

cynthia1970
on 10/30/17 1:16 pm

I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast, wheat crackers and cheese for snack (or Nabs (peanut butter filled cheese crackers)), lunch is usually battered fish and fries or a Hot Pocket, mid day snack is usually more crackers or gramhcrackers dinner is typically fish or venison with a starch and sometimes a veggie. I usually drink a 2L of Dt. Dr. Pepper a day. I'm trying to cut down on the soda and drink more water but it's hard.

hollykim
on 10/30/17 2:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 30, 2017 at 8:16 PM Pacific Time, cynthia1970 wrote:

I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast, wheat crackers and cheese for snack (or Nabs (peanut butter filled cheese crackers)), lunch is usually battered fish and fries or a Hot Pocket, mid day snack is usually more crackers or gramhcrackers dinner is typically fish or venison with a starch and sometimes a veggie. I usually drink a 2L of Dt. Dr. Pepper a day. I'm trying to cut down on the soda and drink more water but it's hard.

I would lie to think you are being sarcastic but I am very afraid you are serious.

Eatong this way you will NEVER lose and maintain an appropriate weight no matter what surgery you have.

I cant help you, I am sorry.

peachpie
on 10/30/17 3:52 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Crackers, fries, battered, hot pocket... Everything you are eating is carb based. Fish is great- not when it's battered and fried paired with fries. You have gone far, far off course. I'm not even as concerned with the diet soda as I am with what you are eating.

You should read the rny menu thread for ideas.

You don't need to retrain your stomach- you need to re-educate your mind.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

stacyrg
on 10/31/17 1:12 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Awesome answer

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/30/17 3:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Small wonder you've regained weight-- anybody would put weight back on with so many carbs, regardless of calorie intake.

To lose weight, you need to go back to basics. Find the instructions you received from your surgeon, which will probably look like this:

• ~800 calories per day
  • Under 25g carbs
  • 60 - 80+ g protein

Ditch the carbs and go straight for lean, dense protein, MAYBE a bite of veg after if you have room.

Your pouch works EXACTLY the way now that it did when you were a new post-op, the only difference is (probably) what you're putting in it. If you can out-eat an RNY, you can most certainly out-eat a revision.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jenorama
on 10/30/17 4:04 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

The venison and the fish are a good start, but as others have said drop the breaded/fried fish. Go back to eating protein forward like you did at the beginning and I imagine you'll find that you fill up on less than you thought you would. When you have dinner, maybe try going in stages? Eat all of your protein first and give yourself a few minutes before having any vegetables. If you feel full on just the protein, that's great! Don't force yourself to eat the vegetables just because they're on your plate. Also switch the starchy vegetables out for less starchy ones. Starchy vegetables can have the same problem as crackers and such--they're softer and mash down to nothing.

I would suggest finding something different than oatmeal for breakfast. The problem with things like oatmeal and crackers is that they smash down to nothing and will slip easily through your pouch opening and into your intestines, causing you to eat more as you chase the full feeling. You want something that's going to stay with you for a while and keep you feeling full longer and the best bang for your buck is going to be dense protein. Maybe an egg and a sausage link or patty instead?

Also watch out for habits you've fallen into like having a certain snack with a TV show. Be aware of and try to redirect those behaviors. Regarding the soda, I'm not one who believes that carbonation will alter your pouch, so as long as it's not full of sugar and carbonation doesn't cause you discomfort, that's fine. Just make sure you don't drink while you eat and not sooner than 30-60 minutes after.

You still have your tool and you can still be successful.

Jen

ladygodiva1228
on 10/31/17 4:25 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On October 30, 2017 at 8:16 PM Pacific Time, cynthia1970 wrote:

If you're not a troll then you have lost 100% lost sight of how to eat after WLS. It appears that the majority of your daily meals are loaded with unhealthy foods and carbs.

There is no training your stomach to be like it was when you first had surgery. You now have to do the work. If you don't want to change what you eat then you will never be able to lose weight.

Best of luck because you are going to need it.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Mary Gee
on 10/30/17 3:20 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Exercise really doesn't matter. What you're eating is carbs, carbs and more carbs. You're not going to lose weight if you continue eating all those carbs and a revision won't help you out either.

Check out the RNY Daily Menu thread and refamiliarize yourself with the bariatric diet....

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active