Keto?

okiepirate
on 1/18/18 8:38 am
VSG on 11/08/14

Has anyone looked at or done a ketogenic diet?

I'm five years out, been at the same weight for four of those years, and really felt the longing for onederland. It seems as though doing the same thing and expecting different results seems really dumb.

Gwen M.
on 1/18/18 3:34 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

There are recent posts on the VSG forums about the Keto way of eating, actually - it's definitely something that many utilize.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ibeanniebe
on 1/19/18 4:14 am - NM

I have been eating this way since July 2017 after experiencing a regain of about 75ish pounds. I have removed about 50 of those pounds since then but am now at the point where I was after my 2008 surgery where the weight loss slowed down but did not stop. I expect to be back where I need to be by this summer.

Ann and the 'Bean'
Blogs mysecondhalfoflife.blogspot.com/ and amanicinsomniacsreadinglist.blogspot.com/

High/Surg/current/goal - 320/253/150/healthy - I am 5' 3" tall - Size 8 now! Past surgeon's goal now!

Kari44
on 1/23/18 4:53 pm - buffalo, NY

Thanks for your post. If you don't mind me asking about doing the keto diet. I had my surgery in 2006 was down to about 130 and have gained about 40 lbs ugghhhh.. so I'm just starting the keto diet this week.. I am trying to be as strict as possible less than 20 carbs a day high fat and protein.. it's very encouraging to see that this diet works it just scares me because of the high fat content.. just wondering if you have any advice to pass on.. do you work out a lot with this diet? Some say to work out intensely others so moderate to none. What worked for you? Thanks and way to go on the weight loss

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/18 2:18 pm

I had DS 6 years ago. Did great. Then I decided I liked to bake and eat home made bread. BLAAAAAAGH. Not wise. Gained 40 pounds. Developed symptoms of fibromyalgia. I was exhausted and tired and blurry headed. Then got a wild hair that I would try KETO.....WooooHoooooo.....weight came off like magic. My mood improved. No more Fibromyalgia symptoms. Not blurry headed or depressed. Stopped thinking about food altogether. Had to remind myself to eat. I was just ......normal. I was in control for the first time in my life. Carbs are the bane of humanity (IMO). My chlolesterol count is like a new born baby's. Im 70 years old....No more problems with diabetes....HA1c is 4.8.....No more meds of any kind. Lost my taste for sweets or carbs. I recommend it highly more than highly. But you cant play with it. You either are on it or you are not. Cant trick it or play with it or fudge. I have to admit my carb count are more like 50 grams or less per day. Fat content is scary at first but It has not negatively impacted my cardio vascular health. Be warned if you do it and you have been religious with it for a while and you decide to have a day where you go carb crazy you will be MISERABLE. Physical and mental train wreck. Body actually changes how it functions.

You have to be careful of your electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium etc) You have to stay well hydrated. You need to research it. Adkins updated version of low carb has done a lot of that work for you. But this is not a nutrition plan that you can be casual about. I love it.

However, I have not been taking vitamins and minerals needed for either the DS or keto. Im in great health but have developed osteoporosis. So now I gotta get serious about my vits and mins. I have to assume responsibility for my irresponsibility. I HATE pills of any kind. But I think pain is worse. Broken fragile bones hurt when you break them. Ive been lucky so far. Sorry that was too much info for one simple question.

Kari44
on 1/23/18 5:05 pm - buffalo, NY
Donna L.
on 3/13/18 6:53 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm on a ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diets and bariatric surgery go together well, because ketogenic diets maximize the metabolic benefits we get from surgery.

As for being afraid of fat causing weight gain, it is typically processed carbohydrate that causes us to gain. Even fruit. Fruit, sadly, has my weight skyrocket. I do have more protein than most, though, because I have malabsorption. Even without that, it's unlikely you will gain weight eating higher fat.

I just hit my protein macro and eat fat after. I don't really use fat bombs and stuff like that.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Paperlike
on 3/14/18 6:53 am

I did low carb about 8 years ago and was in the best shape of my life. Stopped because reasons and gained the weight back. I'm back to it and doing keto now and feeling better again. For people with addictive like tendencies towards sugar and carby food it works very well as long as you stick with it.

5'2 240 . Referral Feb 15th 2018 . Contact from hospital March 13th . Group info session April 23rd .

Kari44
on 3/19/18 11:27 am - buffalo, NY

As I am learning about Keto I see there are a few different types referred to such as "strict Keto" and "Lazy Keto" Do you follow one or the other? Do you count calories as well? I entered my info into my macro's and it put me at about 1200 calories per day and 20 carbs. Is this a similar plan to what you follow?

Paperlike
on 4/9/18 5:58 pm

sorry for the late reply. Im following strict Keto with calorie counting. I eat around 1200 to 1500 calories a day and try to stay under 21 grams of net carbs.

5'2 240 . Referral Feb 15th 2018 . Contact from hospital March 13th . Group info session April 23rd .

Most Active