Is "low carbing" the way to go?

Traci P.
on 8/19/04 4:05 am - St. Mary's, GA
Is this a good plan after having had a bypass? It seems to me that you'd miss getting some things you need. I know protein is a big one, but where would your calcium come from (no milk)? I know you can have cheese, etc...but somehow that just doesn't seem like a good plan. I'm two years post op, btw. I'm not doing this, but someone else who has had a bypass has mentioned that she is doing this. I just wondered what y'all thought.
Josh M.
on 9/10/04 8:51 am - Highland Heights, KY
I lo-carb it myself. Not no carb. I do drink carb countdown milk, the chocolate on for my calcium. I usually have one cheese stick as well. I may have some a slice of whole wheat toast once a week. But mainly it's all protein. My doctor also makes us take Pepcid complete twice daily. That has more than enough calcium in it. It's worked for me so far, 3 months out as of yesterday and down 81 lbs.
gfruit G.
on 9/25/04 5:07 pm - San Francisco, CA
I am not able to eat sugar. So most of the foods I eat are high in protein but low in carb. I get the dumping really bad if I eat sugar or eat too many carbs. Your friends can also get her calcium from some really good shakes mixes, and not the nasty tasking kind either. I hope this helps
Loril
on 10/30/04 8:52 am - Hopkins, MN
my doc recommends skim milk....it is a great source of my protein ( Im newly post op right now). I wont be doing low carb, but high protein. Then the rest will fall into place after I get my protein in, and we really do need carbs for brain health and metabolism. Good luck to her.
Most Active