RNY LAPAROSCIPIC

MARY C.
on 9/8/04 12:22 am - ROSEDALE, MD
I KNOW I SHOULD ONLY BE IN THE HOSPITAL ONE NIGHT WITH THIS SURGERY, DOES ANYONE KNOW THE RECOVERY TIME (BACK TO WORK) AND PAIN RECOVERY TIME?
Nicole W.
on 9/10/04 7:32 am - Pleasanton, CA
Good Afternoon Mary, I went back to work exactly two weeks after surgery. I should have waited another week. My engery level was very low. There was not much pain after I got home. Just make sure you take the pain medicine they give you. I wasn't even taking the full dose and I was doing good. Around the time I went back to work, I was only taking it at night when I went to bed. I stoped taking the pain medicine all together around the fourth week being at home. I hope this helps you. Nicole
tcarol
on 9/19/04 3:49 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
Hi Mary, Actually you could be in the hospital up to 3 days after an RNY Lapriscopic procedure. I had my surgery on 6/10/04 and came home on 6/12/04. I have had a c-section and hernia surgeries and both of those surgerys were much more painful than the RNY. I only used Tylenol when I returned home. Listen to your doctor's instructions about what to eat when you get home and listen to your body when it tells you are full. Don't over do it. I wish you the best! Terri
Tracey L.
on 9/20/04 12:56 pm - Concord, CA
Dear Mary: Recovery time is as unique as the individual. I am 2 months post op from Lap RNY and after 17 other surgeries in my life, thought this would be a piece of cake. I was in the hospital for a week, however was back at work on the 14th day of my recovery. For me, that was too soon. Not because I had pain, the pain was gone for the most part when I left the hospital, but I should of stayed home and started a good foundation of eating/exercise. It hasn't been easy for me to eat correctly. Slowing way way down and no drinking while eating has proven to be challenging. Never mind interrupting my hectic job to feed myself. My doctor originally gave me 4 wks and I believe that is a good amount of time to recover and give yourself time to adjust to the changes, it is substantial. Being prepared is so important for this procedure. Give yourself whatever you can and Godspeed. Blessings, Tracey Love
Charles S.
on 11/30/04 4:56 am - Fairbanks, AK
Hello Mary, I had Lap RNY on April 6th of this year. I was in the hospital for 3 days. Went back to work just shy of 2 weeks. Like others have stated I should have waited. You'll hit a very fatigued stage about 1-3 weeks out while your body adjusts to the new intake, basically none at first. Just be careful with lifting. One of the biggest problems with any post-op is getting a hernia. Something you don't want. Good luck, Charles
Rebecca T.
on 1/3/05 6:59 am - Central, NY
I was in the hospital 2 days, and went back to work, by choice, after 4 weeks. The doc said I could have returned after two, but I took the extra time to rest and am glad I did!!!
Most Active