Need some post-op recipes....liquid and pureed.

kimmieb
on 1/17/05 4:19 am - renton, WA
My surgery is Feb. 3 but am interested in what I should get ready for myself when I come home. Stuff that is high in protein no thicker than applesauce. Any suggestions?
Derrick P.
on 4/22/05 2:33 am - McDonough, GA
All I can say is not to buy too much stuff. I was warned and didn't listen, so I have 6 cans of chicken broth that I will never use, a bunch of SF Jello that I hiss at when I see it.... I suggest a few cans of broth, a mix pack of SF Jello Gelatin, bottles of water (or SF non carbonated drink: Minute Maid Lemonade is delicious, but may give you heartburn...) The thing I loved the most immediately post op was Popsicle Brand Sugar Free Popsicles (the Tropical ones to be exact). After Ice Chips, Barium, Contrast and liquid painkiller, the sweet and cool taste of a sugar free popsicle was devine.
bstowe
on 4/24/05 8:39 am - gilbert, az
That is so funny...I ended up with a bunch of broth and sugar free jellos that I never used again too, as well as sugar free apple cider etc. What was cool is my Mom just got her RNY in Febuary so I was able to pass them off to her...hehehe I warned her too...I told her to get like one can of tuna, one can of beans, etc...and that would feed her for a week. hehe
Cheryl Lee
on 12/7/05 2:38 pm - Brookhaven, MS
You need to search around and find a protein powder that you can tolerate when you come home after surgery. I used Isopure, No Carb, and Unjury. Both were vanilla, and nice blended with low fat milk and ice chips, into a shake. You can also add flavorings later to make other tastes if you get tired of the vanilla. However, your tastes will change quite a lot after the surgery and things you like now will taste very bad to you in future. You need to try a bite and if it does not seem right, then do not eat it and try something else. I had Crystal Lite in the hospital and Jello (sugar-free) both seemed Too sweet to me! I did like weak, warm Chicken broth, home cooked broth was better as long as it was not fatty! Beef broth was good too. You may be able to have some of the popcicles. The no sugar fudge pops tasted good to me and I could manage some SF pudding sometimes too. Crackers were a life savor when I got to about the 4 week mark, cause I could chew them up so fine and they settled well. A bit later on, I found that raw Salmon (Shashmi) not sushi (made with rice) was easy to eat and light on the tummy, also, boiled shrimp, but no sauce! Egg drop soup was good too, you can order from the Chinese take out.... Tried refried beans, but big mistake, such a tummy ache, ouch!!!! I mashed black eyed peas and also baby lima beans and they went down well and mashed potatoes are good too...... Could not stand Tuna (smell), Chicken was too tough, Beef is a no no, and pork also.... Ground beef is still good and I get protein from that in Spaghetti sauce or in a cream sauce. Believe it or no****ermelon was a fruit that I could tolerate and later on strawberries, grapes a no no, too much sugar! Applesauce may also have added sugar, and it was yuck for me! Smoothie King makes a no sugar smoothie with protein powder, that is great, although expensive.... You just try little by little and see what sits well with you. Eat a little bit and then try again a little later. It is a trial and error process for sure! Good luck on your surgery!
Most Active