Having problems keeping food in! Can starvation be a concern?

TV2Night
on 2/2/05 3:24 am - Hackettstown, NJ
I had surgery (RNY) on Dec. 7th, 2004. I had problems with meds and food making me sick and then began throwing up. Three weeks out they did endoscopy and opened a stritcher in stomach. I felt nausea for a week after that and became dehydrated. I got over that and hydrated and began eating starting with fluids again working my way back to soft moist foods. 5.5 weeks out started getting sick again. Had another endoscopy at 6 weeks. This time I was able to get right back into eating and felt good. Unfortanetly, I've been suffering from extreme constipation, so nutritionist gave me some ideas of high in fiber foods. My primary did Urinalysis yesterday and advised me I'm officially STARVING!!!!!! Should I be worried about that? Are we all starving after having this surgery or does this mean I'm not getting enough food in? I'm rarely hungry, and when I am I haven't felt "FULL", so I worry if i eat too much I'll get sick again. I'm afraid I might be not eating enough!
Rhonda M.
on 4/3/05 5:33 am - Honolulu, HI
If you can not tolerate solids too well, focus on a high protein intake - liquid vitamins that are easily digested and then drink a lot of water and try shakes. go with small sips - slow sips - something in is better than out. if you can't go to the bathroom it is prolly because of not enough fluid in... try veggie shakes - minus tomatoe - use greens in the shakes and some chicken broth with pureed chicken ( no beef) I ate this for a long time... it works..but, eat slowly - I should say drink slowly... and only a little " OFTEN".... with love, Rhonda
Most Active