? about sugar post op

LEAH W.
on 3/20/06 5:56 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
I'm currently doing my six months of supervised dieting and I am currently almost at month 3. I've been reading here how most people aren't able to eat sugar anymore. I was wondering if you guys mean really sweet things or things with sugar in them. I've been reading labels like crazy lately and I notice how much of the things I buy have sugar in them. Like Miracle Whip and Jiff peanut butter!!! Are those things that I will be told to avoid after surgery? If so, I'd like to start avoiding them now so I won't be going through withdrawl, lol.
Aggie_P
on 3/20/06 10:15 pm - Southern, UT
If you can tolerate them afterwards, it will be in very very small amounts. Each person is different. They key to success is to not use them. I'm one year out and down 145#'s. I have found I can eat anything in a small amount. One of those bite sized halloween sized chocolate bars are fine. that is one, not a handfull of them. I can eat peanut butter, but I have to get the kind that is from a store where you can grind your own. The commercial brands on the shelf use lard, or shortenings to stabilize the peanut butter they make. Not only are you getting sugars, but solid fats in that jif peanut butter. Now is the time to experiment with different things so you can avoid as much as possible anything with fats and sugars. Splenda is great. It has a bad rep due to the sugar council putting out false advertising about it. I have not found a recipe that I either want to keep as is or that I can't alter to make it actually better tasting and follow the guidelines of what to eat. It just takes knowing what to substitute.
LEAH W.
on 3/21/06 11:36 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
Thanks for your reply. I will take your advice on trying different things now so that I will be prepared post op. One thing that I have really tried and love is Crystal light and other store brands of sugar free drinks. I used to be addicted to Pepsi so that was a big change for me!
Nee P
on 3/21/06 8:55 pm - river falls, WI
Leah, Don't go overboard when buying things that you like now. What you like pre-op might not sit well post-op. Also after your surgery if you find something that you don't like try it again in a few weeks, it just might taste good then. I loved Crystal Light before surgery, but couldn't stand it until just recently (3 mths out). Good luck in your journey. Nee 12/05/2005 339/266/?
Most Active