gyverlady’s Posts

gyverlady
on 1/19/18 5:14 pm
Topic: RE: Iron Deficiency

I have tried every type of iron out there. I can tolerate almost any of them. The problem is that I'm not absorbing the iron. I go back to the hematologist next month to check labs, then I'll probably go back again in 6 months for the same. Unless the patch works, I will probably have to get IV iron once a year, which I am fine with. In the meantime, I feel better than I have in years, I can walk from my bed to the bathroom without getting short of breath. I have color in my face, I have energy, and my weight loss has restarted. Lost 7lbs since I've been out of the hospital. My taste buds have even changed, I don't crave the ice anymore and those food items I was eating tons and tons of that weren't good for me, I'm not wanting anymore (Cheese and Cracker Combos were the worst!) I'm drinking more water, drinking my protein drinks and I'm BACK!!

gyverlady
on 1/9/18 11:09 am

You are very sweet, thank you. My husband calls me the research queen because I research everything! And I mean everything. I do believe everyone should keep themselves informed when it comes to their health care costs (among other things) and get a good idea on the out of pocket costs that you may incur from the surgery, after care, maintenance and any possible complications now and down the road. I expect the best outcome, but am always prepared for the worst!

gyverlady
on 1/9/18 7:47 am

No, no one discussed the cost with me, since that was the only option. Continuing as I was trying to take supplements that aren't working would have resulted in my death. However, I had already extensively researched the cost of iron and I'm aware of the high cost of it. At this point, I consider it well worth the cost since it's saving my life

gyverlady
on 1/7/18 5:06 pm

I was lucky. The hematologist checked all my other nutrient values, B12, calcium Vitamin D, etc.. All levels were great except for the iron. I'm feeling tons better except for the achy joints (side effect of the IV iron). Go on Thursday for my last infusion, then in one month for labs to be sure I don't need more. Apparantly, my body can maintain/utilize all the other supplements but the iron.

gyverlady
on 12/28/17 3:55 pm

I have not had health insurance for years. Hubby doesn't have access to it at work and we have not been able to afford it on our own. (Had Roux-N-Y in 2003). I am pretty sure I have severe iron deficiency anemia and probably a deficiency in B12. Yes, I have been taking supplements, but I've been feeling more tired and more weak especially lately. The good news is, as of Jan 1st, we will have health insurance, but will have to pay 50% out of pocket after deductible. I plan on heading to an urgent care clinic on Tuesday, but I did find a way to get some labs done tomorrow (using WalkInLab.com I don't need a doctor's order). I have to pay all of that out of pocket, but I ordered Iron with TIBC, Ferritin, and a CBC. Anything else I should look for?

Most Active