things people say who just don't get it

KevinBacon
on 4/7/14 9:43 am
VSG on 03/10/14

What are some things people have said to you that you just have to shake your head at?

For me Iit was my mother in laws well intended advice and warning for me to not have my husband "sneak me food while I am healing after my surgery in the hospital". Oh mom. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/14 10:09 am

My all time favorite is will always be my uncle's reaction to me at the hospital after surgery.  My uncle came over to visit me the day after surgery and after speaking to me for a bit, I could tell that he was visibly upset. I was wondering what could be wrong.  I even thought that maybe something happened and my doctor did not tell me and my family was keeping it a secret from me.  He was really unhappy.  I called my mom over and quietly asked her to please explain my uncle's behavior.  She started to giggle and told me not to worry about it.  When I pressed, she said, " He doesn't understand why you had WLS and are still fat".  :)  She wasn't kidding, he really thought that I would come out all skinny after weight loss surgery.  I laughed so hard that I needed a pillow on my stomach to keep from crying in pain.  I love my uncle and he loves me, but his reaction was priceless and the epitome of what people think about this being the "easy way out". 

LosingSarah
on 4/8/14 12:48 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Wow! That is crazy. What did he expect the surgeon to just suck it all out of you? It really goes to show that some folks are REALLY uneducated about WLS. Wow!

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 2:11 am

He never really thought about the "how", just that weight loss surgery should have you lose weight. He thought it was instantaneous.  :)  He is a dear, just a bit clueless.  He was upset because he thought someone should tell me that I am still fat.  :)  My mom kept telling him to not bring it up and she hadn't had a chance to go into a full explanation, and he was worried that the surgery did not work and I didn't know about it.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/14 10:19 am
Cunning_Pam
on 4/7/14 11:25 am
RNY on 12/18/13

My mother in law asks me if I'm sure I don't want to eat any more when we go out to lunch or dinner with her. Or if I bring burgers and shakes for her and my father in law, she asks why I didn't get something for myself.

Every. Single. Freaking. Time.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

MrsLitch
on 4/7/14 3:26 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

my mother in law told me at the first Christmas after my surgery when I had dropped 98 pounds that I looked emaciated. I googled "emaciated" clicked on images and said really? I look like this? I was still overweight at the time. She shut up.

Then my cousin said the other day I'm really glad you didn't gain it all back I thought for sure you would, everyone does. Mind you she doesn't know a single person who has had it personally, and I'm not even 2 years out yet, say that to me at 5 or 10 years good lord

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

KevinBacon
on 4/7/14 3:38 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

wooow. 

I actually don't have anyone in my life that has gained it all back or blah blah blah. I have a family member who had RNY 5 years ago and she went down to 125 but was more comfortable in the 140's so she bounced up and had maintained it for three years now. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Sandy M.
on 4/7/14 10:26 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

"You're too skinny".  "You better stop losing weight now".  "I would never have surgery - I prefer to do it the right way".  "So, you had stomach stapling surgery then?" 

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Spots- N-Dots
on 4/7/14 11:02 pm

I was out with my younger sister (I have 5 sisters and I've always been the heavy one). She commented on why I wasn't eating Burger King (because she has always eaten BK and never gained a pound from it).  She said "you've lost some weight, what more do you want?" My reply was I want my cholesterol lowered, I want to get my sugar/glucose in a healthy range, I want my vitamin levels stable. I want a strong heart and bones. I want better HEALTH. The weight loss is a wonderful benefit but for me it's about getting healthy. Living healthy !

I believe because all my sisters are all small, and always have been thin, that not one of them has taken their overall health into consideration. They are not focused on health, and that might be because they are younger but I believe it is because they don't have to think about what they eat, how they eat.  

Debb

" Never let your dreams rust "   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1046 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1103 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 893 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 763 views