Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker

NDHM
on 4/9/14 5:53 am

Do any of y'all have any experience with these?  I would love to throw one of my protein shakes in the ice cream freezer, but it is just so much trouble to lug it all out, keep refilling the ice & rock salt, etc.  Would it be worth it to purchase one?  Do you use yours often?  Are they much trouble to clean? 

Susan M.
on 4/9/14 6:42 am, edited 4/9/14 6:43 am

It depends on your type of ice cream purposes.  Before I crossed the pond I had this sort of beast, it was *amazing*.  At the time I was doing southbeach (but with as much dairy as I liked, just no sugar or sweeteners).  I would make vanilla egg custard (with no sugar) and add in fruit or 85%+chocolate.

It was very nice and satisfied any dessert cravings I had.  Ice cream has always been my major weakness and it allowed me to make a frozen treat whenever I wanted within 20-40 minutes.

Now I didn't drag that sucker to Canada with me so my birthday present last year was this one.  I haven't used it yet, but I'm gearing up for it.  I'm trying to figure out how much protein I can get into a custard.  I might try a chocolate custard (cream/milk/eggs/cocoa powder) with some raspberries.

I would not want to try the old school ice cream makers for a small personal batch, that's for sure.

For cleaning;  I would say more the refrigerated and barrel types are pretty easy to clean, but with the barrel type you can't make 2 batches back to back unless you get a second barrel to keep in the freezer as well.  So the major downside is needing freezer space.

The old school type is by far the most work and prep,  great for if you're having a family get together or want to make 10 gallons in one session and keep those in the freezer.

I wish I could have my refrigerated 'professional' version again (If I had the counter space for it (they need to be kept level for 24 hours prior to use so I never moved mine) I'd sacrifice the money).

NDHM
on 4/9/14 11:10 am

2 barrels would work!

Sandy M.
on 4/9/14 10:11 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid - no salt or ice, but you do need to keep it in the freezer a couple of days.  I sadly actually make ice cream with it during the summer for my nieces and nephews.  I was never a big ice cream eater, so I can do that without wanting to eat the whole quart myself!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

NDHM
on 4/9/14 11:12 am

I really miss ice cream at a year out. It's really the only sweet thing I want. I think my protein coffees would make a delicious ice cream. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer but never thought about that attachment

Ladytazz
on 4/9/14 2:05 pm

I just bought an ice cream maker at Goodwill for $5 because it was a little smaller then my current ice cream maker, also from Goodwill.  I just plug it in and give it a few minutes and I have ice cream.  I like putting a ready made protein shake in it.  Makes really yummy ice cream.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/14 10:55 pm, edited 4/10/14 1:23 am

I have one and I love it. But I learn to add more fat to a shake to make it more creamy.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 4/10/14 1:10 am - Warren, OH

I have a Lello, Jr by Gelato.  It has its own compressor, so just pour the shake in, turn it on and you have protein ice cream 20 minutes later.  No ice rings, rock salt.  Easy as can be.  Mine is about six years old and still running great.  It is perfect size of one shake.  On Amazon.  Put one in your cart and they will send you a lower price a few days later.  I paid about $170.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1055 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1122 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 901 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 772 views