Change my passwords, again?! I am getting to old for this sh**!

ididabadbadthing
on 4/11/14 10:40 am - TN

My son told me Monday to change all my passwords and I laughed. I know, I know, but I have them written down somewhere and not all of them. I don't even remember them all. He reminded me again and again and finally I changed the last night. 

Am I the only one that is getting tired of this crap?  

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/changing-your-password-for-heart bleed-bug-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/11/14 11:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Check out something called "Lastpass," it keeps all of your passwords for EVERYTHING and can fill them in so you don't have to remember which password you used where. You just need to remember one "master" password for it-- mine is ridiculously long, but I only have to know just the one!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/11/14 11:22 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Heartbleed is serious business. Websites that used OpenSSL have had huge vulnerabilities for about two years now, but the problem has only just come to light. Your son is right, change your passwords, BUT...it will do no good to change the password if the website hasn't patched the security hole yet. Here's a list of websites showing who was affected, who wasn't, and whether or not they've patched yet.

I keep a tiny notepad with all my password information buried in the bottom of a desk drawer, but after this latest mess I'm seriously checking out Lastpass.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

k9ophile
on 4/11/14 3:15 pm

Thank you for posting a link to the sites.  I hate to change them, yet hate being hacked or worse even more.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/12/14 10:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If it helps at all, my husband is a developer who does mobile apps and web back end stuff and he gives lastpass the thumbs up. Any professional geek's vote of confidence was good enough for me, LOL!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/11/14 3:28 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Oh, and if you want a clear and succinct explanation of exactly why Heartbleed is so bad, try this: XKCD explains

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

southernlady5464
on 4/12/14 7:21 am

Yes, change them BUT be sure the sites have the patch in place or you will have to go change them again.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

AnneGG
on 4/13/14 4:32 am

1Password is good password storage software and app protected itself by a password. But I am changing all my important passwords.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1054 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1121 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 900 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 771 views