USA, Not a Democracy, Not a Republic.

Susan M.
on 4/16/14 10:55 am, edited 4/16/14 4:51 pm

Today I googled democracy and saw a few articles in 'news' stating that the USA has been found not to be a democracy, but an oligarchy, we all knew it of course but now a study has concluded it.

You can read all about that here.

Democracy -  government by the people; especially :  rule of the majority.

Oligarchy - a small group of people having control of a country, organization, or institution.

A hearing is also being conducted on the NSA by the European parliament, which is available to watch at various places which I will link to.

It is very long but also extremely interesting, and while I didn't feel like spending so much time watching anything I couldn't pull myself away.

Here it is

There were MANY  scary and interesting points made but I found the statements of Jacob Appelbaum very worthwhile, so if you want to watch his much shorter interview from after the hearing you can click here.

For some people who did not have the pleasure (hah) of living in East Germany and or know not what Mr. Appelbaum refers to - he alludes to the Stasi.

He also uses the german word Zersetzung.

And for those living in the States, I will include this final dramatization.  

KevinBacon
on 4/16/14 2:13 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

We are not a democracy. We are a republic :)

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/16/14 2:18 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM Pacific Time, Susan M. wrote:

Today I googled democracy and saw a few articles in 'news' stating that the USA has been found not to be a democracy, but an oligarchy, we all knew it of course but now a study has concluded it.

You can read all about that here.

Democracy -  government by the people; especially :  rule of the majority.

Oligarchy - a small group of people having control of a country, organization, or institution.

A hearing is also being conducted on the NSA by the European parliament, which is available to watch at various places which I will link to.

It is very long but also extremely interesting, and while I didn't feel like spending so much time watching anything I couldn't pull myself away.

Here it is

There were MANY  scary and interesting points made but I found the statements of Jacob Appelbaum very worthwhile, so if you want to watch his much shorter interview from after the hearing you can click here.

For some people who did not have the pleasure (hah) of living in East Germany and or know not what Mr. Appelbaum refers to - he alludes to the Stasi.

He also uses the german word Zersetzung.

And for those living in the States, I will include this final dramatization.  

Thank you for posting this.  Noam Chomsky has been writing about the U.S. being a failed state for years. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MrsLitch
on 4/16/14 2:24 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I hope we aren't a democracy, I was taught we were a republic.

Democracy vs Republic

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Susan M.
on 4/16/14 5:01 pm

I appreciate the information and the differences, but either are laughable if members of the press go through the CIA first to make sure they won't get in trouble for publishing something.

If an investigative journalist is having his house continually searched, phones bugged, friends and relatives watched, if he is being held and questioned as a 'terrorist' ?  In your reference it says something about "the majority cannot take away certain inalienable rights".  Like the bill of rights?  Isn't there something in there about freedom of the press?

MrsLitch
on 4/18/14 2:45 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

It's funny I'm a journalist and never once had to ask the CIA what I can print. nor have I had my phones bugged, my house searched or anyone watched. I have freedom of the press as long as I'm not breaking a law to get the information. *shrug*

Kate -True Brit
on 4/16/14 8:28 pm - UK

We'll I would hope very much you are a democracy! Don't you have a free vote? Don't you have freely elected politicians? Don't you have universal franchise?  A Republic can be non-democratic as is the People's Public of China or a democratic republic as, I fondly believed, the USA. One doew not exclude the other. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MrsLitch
on 4/18/14 2:46 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Kate feel free to click the link and see that the USA is a republic. :D

Kate -True Brit
on 4/18/14 3:39 pm - UK
On April 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, MrsLitch wrote:

Kate feel free to click the link and see that the USA is a republic. :D

I have never had any doubt that USA is a republic! I just rather hoped that it was a democratic one. It would be a very sad state of affairs of a country with the size and influence of the modern USA were to be governed on anything other than democratic principles. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Susan M.
on 4/16/14 4:49 pm

Yes, Forgive me, I got caught up and quoted from one of the articles I was reading.  Shall I change the title?  

There are also *many* definitions for democracy and republic.

Republic at the time of Madison, "It was a novel meaning to the term; representative democracy".

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1046 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1103 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 893 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 763 views