Cleaning house + why didn't I buy this sooner?

csbsteph
on 4/28/14 12:34 am, edited 4/28/14 12:35 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Cleaning house today.  Before I had my VSG surgery I bought a dust pan with a handle because getting my husband or daughter to just sweep the kitchen is like pulling teeth.  If they agree to sweep they both always say "I'll do it but it won't be done as well as how you do."  Grr I love em.  Anyway this inexpensive gadget has been so very helpful to me & I sure as heck dunno why I didn't buy one sooner.  No more bending over & getting on the floor for me.  On other situations, I bought an Electrolux vacuum at Big Lots back in February for $99, I wanted to buy a dyson but it was $250 buyer beware of factory re-conditioned things, I can vacuum for about 20 mins. then it over-heats and quits & I have to take a break from cleaning, ie why I'm taking a posting break now.  Wish I would've just saved up some money & bought a brand-new cleaner...I normally buy a lot of reconditioned things at places like Freds super dollar & big lots & have never had a problem but this vacuum is giving me fits & of course I can't return it because it's been over 30 days.  Break time over lemme see if it will work now.

Why am I just now buying one of these? I love it

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

AnneGG
on 4/28/14 1:48 am

Was just sweeping my kitchen with the same kind of dustpan. A back saver!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Cunning_Pam
on 4/28/14 8:41 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I bought one of those, back when I was too obese to bend over. It's still kind of nice.

About vacuums, I LURVE my Dyson Animal. Most expensive vacuum I've ever bought, and well worth every penny. Three long haired cats in the house = lots of hair. I'm always threatening to shellac them! But the Dyson definitely helps.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Ladytazz
on 4/28/14 3:49 pm

I just got a Hoover vacuum for $15 at Goodwill.  I love it.  That sucker can suck!  I also bought a Bissell Pro heat carpet steamer off of Craigslist for $40 that is wonderful.  And a $30 Little Green Spot Bot off of Craigslist that I can use if one of my dogs decides that the carpet is better then going outside.  My favorite gadget is a spray mop I got at Grocery Outlet for $20.  My downstairs is not carpeted and the dogs drag all kinds of dirt in from outside.  I was using a steam cleaner on the floors but it was such a hassle to get out, fill with water and use.  This thing is so handy.  I just keep the bottle filled and every day I clean the floors.  It also has a mop like fringe around the pad so while I am mopping it also sweeps up the dirt so I can get it in a pile and sweep it up.  I use a little dust pan with brush I got at the dollar store.  I have one in every room so I can take care of spills right away, too.

I also bought some cleaning wipes for a dollar and keep them in all the rooms so I can wipe up the counters after I use them.  I have always hated housework and my home showed it.  I got into a cleaning frenzy a few months ago and cleaned all my rooms, closets, shed, pantry, refrigerator, everything I could find.  I have pretty much no storage so I have been putting up shelves and organizing things.  I am determined to keep my house clean and I would rather put in the time every day to keep it clean then to have to spend hours a day for weeks to get it into shape.  I was tired of not wanting people over because I was embarrassed for them to see my house.  Part of the problem was just being sick for a long time and not having the energy to clean and then being overwhelmed at how bad it got.  Now I feel good and I have the energy to keep it clean.

I want to make it as easy as possible to clean and keep it clean, that is why I got the vacuum and steam cleaner and stuff.  It is convenient and easy to use so I don't have an excuse not to do it.  I am actually finding that I like cleaning almost as much as I like having a clean house.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

csbsteph
on 4/28/14 10:40 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes right now I've been looking on Craigs list for a new to me but used vacuum too.  Found a dyson near me for $200; may call when money comes in to see if they will take less; it looks to be in really good shape but I would want to try it out.  I went on a cleaning frenzy too before my surgery & do heavy cleaning before November as we always have a b'day party for my daughter & Christmas company.  Clorox wipes are one of my favorite things in the world!  My Electrolux vacuum died yesterday & I cleaned the brush roll on an older dirt devil pet but it doesn't work too well.  

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

purplequeeny
on 4/28/14 11:47 pm - Mc Calla, AL
VSG on 06/12/14

I couldnt live without my long handled dust pan.  My kids will sweep but its like they do the middle only lol.... and yes I think they do on purpose so I will not ask again.  I do the same with mowing the lawn... I let them do it, they are so much better than I am ... wink wink.

HW 350 SW 309 CW 150 Surgery 06/12/14 I admit I'm a scale addict.  My life is now amazing and God is guiding me thru every step of the way.

hanneyalexa
on 8/27/14 10:49 am

I also have that long handled dustpan, it is very helpful for me and I don't need to bend just to clean our floor. It also helps me to save money that using vacuum every day. It also helps me to teach my daughter to clean their rooms every day.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1053 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1118 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 900 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 770 views